re gearing my XJ

pimpin_jeep_xj

im wonting to re-gear my 95 XJ to get better gas mileage but i dont know much about gears and stuff were would be a good place to go and have it dont and about how much would it cost

Probably not economical to do it for gas mileage reasons alone. You're looking at at least $500-600 to do both axles. You'd have to drive an awful lot to make that up with a 3-4 MPG gain or even with a 10 MPG gain!

yeah but im bout to run sum 33s and i figuered it would prolly be better for it if i did to and how hard is it to just swap out axels with better gears and would i have to do both front and back or could i just do the back

yeah but were could i get new gears and ive never changed gears b4 but i know a few people who can so i could get them to help me and also what gears would i need to run

and a set of 4.88s would run like 200 right

Call Carolina Rock Shop he has excellent prices and great cusomer service. They are located in Charlotte.

Give me a shout if I can help you out.

You will need both gearsets, install kits, and carriers front and rear.

Thanks
Andy

well were would i look to see if its a 8.25 at and its a 95 xj country 4x4 if they all happed to have the same that year maybe someone would know

easiest way to tell is to look at the rear axle, if there is a completely flat portion on the bottom aroun 4-5 inches wide, then it is the chryco 8.25, if there is no completely flat spot on the very bottom of the housing then you have the dana 35

Also if you have a 8.25 in your 95 it's 27 spline and not worth upgrading if you plan to run 33's and lock it.... It's better than the D35 but not by a whole lot.. You would be better off finding a 29spline 8.25 ($150.00) or fronting the $400 for a D44.

As for cost, here's what you need:

(1) New Carrier for the D30
(2) master install kits
(2) gearsets
and depending on what rear you have maybe a new carrier.

And yep 4.56 is as deep as you can go for the 8.25 but running 33's I wouldnt want 4.88's. Woodkrawler ran it for awhile like that and hated it on the road (but loved it in the woods). Basically w/ 33's and 4.88's you're running about 3,000 RPM's at 70mph....

well i wanna say the bottom is round with not much of a flat spot (thats the back axel i havent looked at the front one) ill check tomorrow after school sum time

If it's completely round you have a D35..... You can re-gear it if you want but honestly it's not worth it. I would try to find a 29sp 8.25 or 44 for it b/c throwing money into a D35 just doesnt make sense.

The front is a HP30 which is just fine (if you start wheeling it much find someone to spot weld your u-joint caps on)...

so id prolly just be better running the 33s with stock axels and gears cause i dont do much off roading with the XJ

It's entirely up to your budget.... I just wouldn't spend any money on a D35 if it were me. But, to each his own. You could always do the Super 35 kit but that's some expensive polishing of a turd.

OR If you dont plan to wheel it much just go ahead and regear the 35... it shouldnt break on the street (or woods for that matter with it open), just be careful pulling up on curbs at the mall though (just kidding...)

so id prolly just be better running the 33s with stock axels and gears cause i dont do much off roading with the XJ

thats what mine is set up with right now. i dont have alot of power on the trail and that blows alot of the time but i get by. and it sucks going up hills on the highway. but just for regular driving the 4.0 has plenty of power to lug the 33's around on the street. but i would go for a 29spline 8.25 if doing much to any offroad with that turdy5:wheel:

thats what mine is set up with right now. i dont have alot of power on the trail and that blows alot of the time but i get by. and it sucks going up hills on the highway. but just for regular driving the 4.0 has plenty of power to lug the 33's around on the street. but i would go for a 29spline 8.25 if doing much to any offroad with that turdy5:wheel:

What he said.

I've got 31s on 3.55 gearing and really that's FINE. I still spin the tires unintentionally on the street from time to time. if you're not wheeling I think you could handle 33s on stock gears, just stay in 3 rather than D. I'm thinking of going to 4.56 and 35s later in the summer, that would give me about equal performance to what I have now (at least that's what the calculator says. It doesn't know a thing about trimming fenders though).

you will regret not going 4.88's! ive seen 50 million post saying the same over on naxja. better to have to much than to little.

the 31's and 3.55 leave plenty of power in the bank.

so were could i get a 29spline 8.25 at, would galloways be a good place to go

you will regret not going 4.88's! ive seen 50 million post saying the same over on naxja. better to have to much than to little.
the 31's and 3.55 leave plenty of power in the bank.

If the majority of your driving is on the highway then I completely disagree with you. 4.88's will be screaming w/ 33's at 65-70mph. Your top speed is going to be somewhere around 70mph b/c you'll be running 3,000 RPMs at the speed...

w/ my 4.56's and 33's at 75mph im almost running 3,000 rpm's.. I wouldnt mind going up to 35's to get the rpm's back down.

Now if you dont drive much on the highway then go deeper but i bet when you drive that baby up to Tellico you're going to find vibrations you never knew you had before above 3000rpm's.....

yeah ill prolly just go with the 29spline 8.25 cause so far it seems like the safes bet but my main concern is MPG really cause im gettin like 13-14 now and with 33 it will prolly be like 10 or so and i do ride on the highway about 2or3 times a week

Back