Rear Axle Question

Trav386

I've got a '94 YJ running on 35's. I've heard that the the dana 35 wont last long running tires so big. About how long do yall think it would take for it to crap out? Also, how big of a deal is it to swap the rear axle for a dana44? Cost, work, Ease? Thanks...

Depends on how hard you beat on it. I've ran 35's on mine for a while no problems.....but I'm swapping in 60's:). I'd look into an 8.8, comes with 31 spline shafts, disc brakes...hard to beat. Theres one for sale here on the board...http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9588....You'd just need to move your spring mounts, set pinion angle, shock mounts, brake lines.. yada yada. Shouldn't be to bad.

Do you have an auto tranny or 5 speed? If its a 5 speed just dump the clutch around 2Krpm or so and watch the spider gears strip out. If ya got an auto tranny, then a good bounce with some throttle will take out a shaft or spider gears. I did a semi hard launch once not even trying to spin the rear tires and BOOM went the rear end. Another guy who I was trail riding with was trying to climb a ledge and bounced once and SNAP went the rear shaft. I would look into a Ford 8.8 or Dana 44 for a decient rear end for not a super large amount of money. The Ford 9" is another good one but hard to find in stock YJ width.

AARON

Trav386 said:
I've got a '94 YJ running on 35's. I've heard that the the dana 35 wont last long running tires so big. About how long do yall think it would take for it to crap out? Also, how big of a deal is it to swap the rear axle for a dana44? Cost, work, Ease? Thanks...

My son broke his D35 first time out with 35s and a LockRite. If you wheel, at some point it's gonna go. If you're planning to keep the D30 front, the 8.8 is the swap of choice as far as I'm concerned. $200-400 for the axle plus odds and ends, correct wheel bolt pattern and width, disc brakes on the 95+ years, 31 spline axle shafts on some models. Still C-clips though but a great upgrade.

Back