rear disc swap problem

tkeaton

Master Velocipede Alchemist
ok....figured id get some work done on the buggy so i pick up a set of k20 calipers (loaded) from napa. the plan was to install them on my rear d60. i already installed rotors a few months back. the caliper bracket is from great lake offroad.

when i got everything ready to go on, they do not fit. the caliper fits on the bracket just fine and the outer pad seems to be in the right place, in relation to the entire set up. however, the inner brake pad will not fit between the rotor and the caliper bracket.

other details:
-the rotor is 1-5/16" thick
-the gap between the rotor and the bracket is 5/16"
-the bracket is 3/8" thick

so what do i do??

What application rotor did you use? I used the Greatlakes on my 14 bolt. 3/4 ton caliper and rotor from 78 chevy. Went together with zero problems.

thats the problem, i cant remember the application rotor i used. im sure that it was a chevy rotor though, just not the year or vehicle.

would you happen to have the thickness of your rotor?;)

Keep in mind, mine is a 14 bolt, but I think should be simular.
Rotor is 1.300 Thick( so 1 5/16" this is basically the same)
Between the axle tube flange and the bracket mine has 3/4" spacers that come with the kit when I bought from Greatlakes
The outside of the bracket to the inside of the caliper it is 2 1/2 "
Hope this helps.
SOunds like mabe the backspacing of the rotor is the issue. Or wrong calipers.

i went back and had the heros at autozone pull some 77 k20 rotors (to match the calipers) and they measure only 1/16" thinner than the ones i have on the axle currently

thereby pushing the bracket outward? that would still make the gap smaller....the bracket would be closer to the rotor, making the gap smaller on the inside pad, where i am having the problem and larger on the outside.

:confused:

when i put in the washer spacer between the bracket and mounting surface it moved the caliper closer to the inside of the axle which made more room between the caliper and the rotor. my bracket set up has the bracket on the outside of the spindle. is yours on the outside or inside?

Get me a measurement of outside to outside and inside to inside of your caliper.
Aslo get me wms to inside edge of rotor. ( so we can determine the backspacing of the rotor. Also, thickness of your brake pads.
One other thought. have you compressed your caliper piston all the way in???

ok, i went by autozone and had them pull a f350 rotor

it measured 3-1/4" total width, hat and rotor included...1-1/4" for just the rotor

the chevy k20 rotor measured the same for rotor only, however the overall width was only 2-7/8"

this would mean that the ford rotor comes closer to the bracket than the chevy would.....they did not have any ford calipers to measure the pad thickness....

Back