Rear Locker in 2WD Tow Rig

It wasn't sarcasm... it was a damned compliment! I read your whole post, and I appreciate your input and advice. Again... THANX! :shaking:
:rolleyes: Ok I got ya, the part you quoted was what I responded with first, then I went back and put more pertinent information:beer:

My locker has been in for 9 years......... no problems out of the rear. Transmission issues, but rear has been fine.

As far as sliding on wet roads, not a problem. You will learn to drive with it and forget it is there.

I also agree that not everything has to be 4wd. My next tow rig will be though. I have had a heck of a time this winter loading cows and comming out of pastures. If I was going to haul once and a while and 90% on the highway, I would stay with 2wd.

Don, the thing I wouldn't like at all about an auto locker in a tow rig is the huge amount of backlash that comes with them.

If I had kept my Dodge, it would have gotten a clutch-type LSD.

Don, the thing I wouldn't like at all about an auto locker in a tow rig is the huge amount of backlash that comes with them.

Im with Rich... I know the manual lockers are $$$ but the backlash with the auto lockers are terrible...

That's why I say, either go LS or go manual locker...

Hey Rich, hope you're well! :) Based on feedback from this thread, plus what I have heard from a few others, I believe I will take the advice and look for a limited slip, and forget about the locker. I consider myself fairly decent on the mechanics, but I'm also smart enough to listen to what others have to say. For my part, I think this thread has been very helpful, and THANX to all who replied.

To GCncsuHD: that "THANX" was not sarcasm either. :lol: :beer:

To marvilusone: I would assume that if the locker was a terrible thing you would take it out. So-o-o... other than what you posted, how well does it work for you? I've got a street-Jeep CJ-5 that's locked in both ends. It's been that way for 15 years. I'm used to it, I like it, and it's darn handy if it's needed. Otherwise it drives just fine.
I like the traction but in the rain I have to be careful about getting on it as it loves to fishtail. I drive fairly "spirited" so I enjoy it. As far as letting the g/f borrow it in the rain....... I don't think so. I'm sure you know this but if you know how to drive it a locker is not that bad on a DD/tow rig, your driving habits just have to adjust slightly. I very rarely would ever be anywhere I would need 4wd and the locker will let my 2wd go 99% of the places I need to. In all the snow we had this is what I was driving and since I know how to drive with a locker on wet/snowy/icy pavement I was fine and didn't have a single issue. I wouldn't have lent it to anyone else though. The 4x4 F250 and the front wheel drive Monte Carlo stayed at home.

Bringing back an old thread... I am looking very seriously at the Detroit Truetrak for my 2WD truck. I have heard, and read, a lot of good things about it... and very little negative. I would like to hear what some of you may have to say about this unit... good or bad.

THANX! :)

I don't know about the Truetrac specifically, but it's a helical gear differential. Very similar to what Dodge puts in the back of the 2500 and 3500 trucks from the factory. Pretty nice unit. Predictable, no clutch packs to wear out, doesn't chew up the tires, etc.

I have owned 3 96 2wd dodge ctd trucks. I have been struck in my own driveway in all of them but a few things made a huge difference.

1st buy a LS, tru-trac or buy a factory rear that has one. I have seen the 1 gen dodge rear ends with LS's sell for under $500.00. Lock rites and other lockers can be a pain in a tow rig, and you just don't need it in a 2wd. It's not like you are going to rock crawl the thing.

2nd put some weight in the bed, even when towing. I carry about 400 lbs in the bed of one of my trucks all the time and even though it is a single wheel it gets stuck less than my dually with no weight in it. When I put my camper in the bed of the dually it is incredible where it will go, so the more weight the better.

3rd. I went to a 285-75-16 geolander at tire and it also made a huge difference. I went with the geolander because it has a lot of wet weather siping and was not a extremely agressive a\t tire. (no more getting stuck on the road in the rain) You can't even hear them over the engine. I am also getting between 80,000-100,000 miles out of a set. The only problem was that they rubbed on the front. I tried coil spacers, but ended up poping ball joints every 4 months, so I took the spacers out and just trimmed the plastic on the inner fender.

Honestly none of those 3 things made more of a difference than the others, but the combination made a huge difference. Hope you get it figured out.

1st buy a LS, tru-trac or buy a factory rear that has one. I have seen the 1 gen dodge rear ends with LS's sell for under $500.00.

Those are the clutch-type LS. If you want the good Torsen one, you've got to get an 03+

I agree, the LS in my 06 SRW is pretty aggressive. In ice storms when I go play around and get on a hill in 2wd (its a 4wd) it'll spin both tires. Also in tight turns on gravel I can hear the inside wheel slipping. Drives great though.

I would think a auto locker would be a detriment while loaded sure you get used to it i guess but just one more variable to think about.

Being from the north a 2WD towrig is not a viable option. Since I have lived in the land of little to no snow I have had several 2WD towrigs without any issues. I did take my '05 GMC Sierra 2WD ext cab/long bed back to Oh and hit some real snow, over 6 inches that stayed more than an hour LOL. It did suprisingly well loaded and unloaded. Like most things i is how you handle yourself and your right foot. I moved into a rig for more seating and it is 4WD. I got it becuase of the price. The 4WD has helped me out several times when going hunting or when the wife follows the big burb on the easy trals LOL.

A couple things to keep in mind.
4WD costs more, adds extra weight, cts down on overall towing weight (normally only a couplehundred pounds), lessens MPG's and roughly 99% of the times does not get used. I suggest a locker/limited slip, a winch that you can move from the trailer, truck, and maybe even your offroad toy, better tires, or maybe even carry a couple hundred pounds of kitty litter in the bed for weight and you could always spread it over ther ground for traction if needed.

More good advice... ThanX Guys! :)

I have found that the TrueTrak is not available for my truck without changing axles, etc. So, I have decided on a Dana PowerLok, and I currently have one on order. Hopefully it will be installed sometime in the near future. I appreciate all the input! :)

we have some used Dodge LS we can sell cheap and we can rebuild them install ect.

I personally have 2wd dually tow rig and like it. i would either add a limited slip or do an ARB i would not put a full non selectable locker in. driving on the street in the snow would be sketchy and when towing loads i would prefer not to have any ill effect from a locker, they are money but worth it.

Back