Rebuilding A999

mbalbritton

#@$%!
So, I was considering rebuilding the A999 in the YJ myself. I’ve done Manuals, t-cases, axles, a good deal of engine work, all successfully. However, I’ve never jumped into an slushbox before. Aside from a couple of specialized tools and experience being in one before, I’m wondering if I don’t just do it myself and learn more about the device that motivates my Jeep down the road.

I thought I’d take the week off work and do this as well as a few other items on the Jeep. So I’m not rushed to have it back together by Sunday night.

Thoughts on:
1. Pointers and tips
2. Don’t do it! Something’s are better left to the pro.
3. Make sure you have this or do that?
4. You’re a freakin Moran from previous posts you’ve made and I wouldn’t ride with you after doing it.
5. Why bother
6. Definitely replace the flux capacitor while you’re there.

Why? On cold start, it takes a few seconds to (I guess) build pressure and move the Jeep. It leaks from damn near everywhere and I’m tired of order large items from Amazon so that I have a cardboard box to park over.

Watch a bunch of how to videos on YouTube and wait until the fall.

Straight rebuild is pretty straightforward. Knowing problem spots to look for and easy upgrades can be a rabbit hole. That’s where prepping watching videos and doing some searches are immensely helpful. May as well toss in a shift kit while you’re in there. And upgrade the clutches and steels. And…etc $$$ 😂

Why? On cold start, it takes a few seconds to (I guess) build pressure and move the Jeep. It leaks from damn near everywhere and I’m tired of order large items from Amazon so that I have a cardboard box to park over.
They don't pump in park, so it's normal to take a couple seconds to prime. Is your TV cable adjusted properly?

They're simple to rebuild. Buy a kit with a step by step manual and it'll be much easier. Only special tool you'll need is a clutch compressor along with GOOD snap ring pliers.

Back