regearing ?

ncrockinxj

I purchased some 4.56 gears and I have 4.10s now am I going to need a new carrier also the rear has welded spider gear ... where do I get a carrier b.c I have looked around and cant figure it out I know what a newb right (ya) i dont know shit about axles

I think the carrier breaks at 3.55/3.73 so you should be ok. If you do need a carrier just check local junkyards. Oh, and if you're asking how hard it is to install the gears, you don't need to be installing them. :flipoff2:

ncrockinxj said:
I purchased some 4.56 gears and I have 4.10s now am I going to need a new carrier also the rear has welded spider gear ... where do I get a carrier b.c I have looked around and cant figure it out I know what a newb right (ya) i dont know shit about axles

If you currently have 4.10s you will be fine on a 30/44 to go to 4.56s. Are you installing them? What brand of gears are they? id you order install kits and all or just the gears?

Let me know if we can help
Andy

I did regeared mine not knowing jack about axles, But have done some machining before. It was a VERYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY challenging job that requires some tools you may not have. I spent a chunk o change on just tools. I ruined a couple of bearings, and it took me forever (embarrassed to admit how long it took me) to complete the job. I took my time and it came out really good. If you do it yourself read all the material you can find before hand. If you do not have any patience and don't have something else to drive DON'T DO IT. I am fortunate enough to have some race car guys at work for resources. You can really screw something up and then spend more money than what you have invested already if you don't do it right.

mbalbritton said:
Why not? they came with 35's 8.25's and 44's.....

Rarely will you find an xj with a 44. And if it were a zj with an al 44, it would be a whole 'nother pita. So I was only asking to clarify...

Well I'm not going to argue, but just two model years and only with the tow package out of the almost three million xj's built...they're not exactly plentiful either.

ncrockinxj said:

If you don't know shit about axles I would recommend getting someone that has done this before to help. Also get someone who has done it and the gears worked after they were done. Regearing is not hard, but it has to be done right. Not much room for mistakes. Keep your old bearings to use as set up bearings and it will save alot of time.

Good Luck:beer:

Back