Renewing registration on a broken down car

Zachs

With the 'new' registration + inspection laws, how do you keep a broke ass car registered but not inspected?
My TJ can't make it to get inspected, but I don't want to take it off the insurance as it would cost more to replate then to keep it on my insurance (overall just wouldn't make sense).

I don't think it costs any more to replate later, compared to renewing the existing tag. Maybe you're confusing the initial costs you paid that included title work?
Just cancel insurance on it now, then when the TJ's fixed, re-tag it. Ok, you'll have to get a temp tag to get it inspected before they'll give you another perm. tag, that might cost a few dollars more.
If you leave it with an expired tag, it will be many months before the DMV hassles you, maybe you could fix it before that.

Well I just payed it off a week or two ago and it's been down since the end of last summer. I assumed the highway tax and all that crap would have to be repaid. It was like 140$ or something ridiculous and I'm not feeling like paying that again...was that just a 1 time deal?

I'll gladly kill the insurance and plate if it's a similar price to retag as it is to renew. I don't see it being in a working condition for a few months (haven't even started the rebuild process).

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/registrationtitling/taxHighwayUse.html
North Carolina collects a 3% Highway Use Tax on vehicles in lieu of a state sales tax (General Statute 105-187.2). The tax is assessed each time a title is transferred.
HUT won't apply in your case if the title is in your name. I guess since you just paid it off, the bank will be sending it to you.
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/registrationtitling/howtoregister.html#Step3
License Plate Registration Fee for Private Passenger Vehicles $28.00
License Plate Registration Fee for Private Truck Under 4,000 lbs $28.00
and the $40 title fee is not required, since the title should be in your name.
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/emissioninspection/download/faq.pdf
14. If the registration cannot be issued until it is inspected, and I can’t drive the
vehicle to the inspection station, how do I legally get the car in compliance?

DMV may issue a 10-day permit to a person that authorizes him/her to drive an insured
vehicle for the purpose of inspection and registration. You should contact your local
license plate agency or License and Theft Bureau office for the permit. Office addresses
and phone numbers are available at www.ncdot.org/dmv under “Office Locations.”
I can't find the fee for the temp 10-day tag, looks like you have to call your local office.

I just went through something similar, I just left the tags and insurance on it and when I got it fixed I went and renewed the tag. It renewed for its original registration month, not the current month though.

Duane

My cab truck hasn't been inspected in 5 years, and my Samurai has never been inspected in the 6 years I have owned it. About 1.5 yrs ago, they caught up with me on my Samurai, and the NC website wouldn't allow me to renew the registration due to no inspection. The same thing happened on my cab truck last year. I have kept both vehicles insured. I drove my Samurai to work last Friday, lol. Screw em.

The tags on the Bronco have been expired since last July. No inspection, either. Insurance is still current. It just sits in the driveway. If I park it on the street, it'll get towed.

<shrug>

When my Bronco was down, it went 4 months passed it's registration date. I got it up and going, had it inspected, hopped online and registered it. The tag sticker was the original month though. My 250 mainly sits, and it's 6 months passed due, it'll probably be another couple of weeks before I pull it out, and I'm hoping it'll be the same scenario. My mother once drove around 9 months expired and it wasn't until a road block did she find out she was passed due, she got it inspected, then went to tag agency and had no issues.

My buddy drove his supra from 2000 until 2009 without getting it inspected:shaking: You should have about 3 months to fix it before they send you a letter in the mail basically telling to inspect your shit or turn your tag in happened to me with my F150 inspection went out in November and sent me a letter in March to get it inspected. I just turned in the tag broken spider gears so couldn't make it. They will either suspend your license 6 months or fine you happened to my friend lost.license for 6 months for an inspection violation on his trooper.

My cab truck hasn't been inspected in 5 years, and my Samurai has never been inspected in the 6 years I have owned it. About 1.5 yrs ago, they caught up with me on my Samurai, and the NC website wouldn't allow me to renew the registration due to no inspection. The same thing happened on my cab truck last year. I have kept both vehicles insured. I drove my Samurai to work last Friday, lol. Screw em.

So it kept letting you renew your registration every year until 1.5yr ago? I may try just registering mine online, mine is expired now, wont pass for evap and cat converter.

Be careful with this. If the DMV catches some stuff they will bone you big time. I had a car a while back that I didn't get inspected and they sent me a letter stating that if I don't get it done it will be $250 fine, block reg, ($50), and another smaller charge. If you do take ins off of it make sure you turn in the plate FIRST. ($50 fine). But other than that it does not cost any extra to turn in the plate and regesister it at a later date.
In wake co it cost $5 or $10 for a 10 day pass. I'm pretty sure its $5 though

So it kept letting you renew your registration every year until 1.5yr ago? I may try just registering mine online, mine is expired now, wont pass for evap and cat converter.

Before they switched to electronically recording your inspection and sending it to the state you could get away with that. Now the tag office knows if your car has been inspected, and if it hasnt they wont let you get the tags. I kept tags on quite a few vehicles without having them inspected.

Duane

Be careful with this. If the DMV catches some stuff they will bone you big time. I had a car a while back that I didn't get inspected and they sent me a letter stating that if I don't get it done it will be $250 fine, block reg, ($50), and another smaller charge. If you do take ins off of it make sure you turn in the plate FIRST. ($50 fine). But other than that it does not cost any extra to turn in the plate and regesister it at a later date.

Great info man... thanks

Yes. Every year I logged on and renewed my registration despite not having been inspected. The computer systems finally caught up with me though and now it blocks my registration renewal due to no inspection.

x2

I use to always get that $250 letter in the mail. I would forget to have my stuff inspected, then the letter would show up about 2 months after the inspection due date. You would typically have another 2-3 months after receiving the letter to get your junk inspected. That was back before the inspection/registration deal got combined and computerized. I never received a letter on my cab truck or Samurai though for some reason. I think when they stopped the sniffer tests, and went to OBDII only tests, they stopped sending the letter for 95 and older rigs. I would still get the letter for my 98 Tahoe. I never got a letter for my Ram though and I think that is because it is a diesel, and not OBDII. My Ram went uninspected for about 2-3 yrs until the computerized inspection/registration renewal thing started.

Basically, they have closed all the loop holes by combining or computerizing the inspection/registration renewal process.

Back