replacing hubs, need help/opinions

lowestjumperTJ

I'm gonna be replacing the locking hubs in my rig this week (hopefully by this weekend's URE trip). mine are completely not working. I've taken them apart enough to see that there are pieces missing (probably from where some jackass took them apart before, or maybe even bought the wrong ones), so I'm about 97% sure that's what the problem is. I stopped by Auto Zone here in Fayetteville tonight to see what kind of money I'd be looking at to get some from them, and they only carry Mile Marker hubs. they would of course have to order them, and I could have them Thursday if I order them tonight or early tomorrow. O'Reilly sells Superwinch. Any opinions on either of these? how hard are they to swap out? also, is there anybody out there that could help me if I had them by Thursday so I could go to URE and actually have 4WD and go everywhere? I went out there this past Saturday for a shakedown run and did about half of RML before I turned around and went home. I'll buy lunch, beer, whatever, if somebody can help me.

by the way, my rig is a '90 Toyota extended cab with a SAS out of a 79-84 Toyota.

you don't want any of those hubs for your toy, The ASINS on there are far superior. i have a set of IFS ones ill sell you for $75 shipped if you don't have your originals. and youll have them by thursday. you'll need to swap the inner hub gear from your straight axle hubs to the IFS ones. thats the only difference in the two hubs IFS shafts are 27 spline SA are 30 spline. We have cromo hub gears in stock also if you need those.

that sounds fine to me, but I'm not too familiar with doing the work so I'm gonna need some help...especially with swapping the inner hub gear.

Yea, defiantly stay with the asin hubs. The only thing is the offset on the IFS is different than the straight axle ones. The gears will inter change but you will not be able to get the clip ring on the end of the stub, just a heads up. Oh and IFS axles are 26 spline for future reference.

If you don't have the factory Aisin hubs then I would buy the set of IFS Aisin hubs from "Cperry" for $75 in the post above along with the chromo hub gears. When you order Longfield axles, he will recomend those anyway.

what about the Superwinch ones? I have a business account with O'Reilly so I get everything at whole sale cost. any opinions on these?

I had a set of Superwinch hubs on my '89 before the SAS and never had any issues with them. I think they are much better than Warn hubs.

The main reason to use the factory Aisin hubs; besides the quality of the actual hub; is the use of cone washers. These cone washers keep the hub nuts and studs (12mm) from working loose. Most after market hubs use flat washers. They WILL work loose and cause the hub studs to shear off.

I would wait and get the Aisin set-up...either IFS and change the hub gears or find a used set off solid axle hubs, but I would NOT pay $199 - $250 each for new ones like I have seen advertised on some websites.

Back