Replacing Trailer Deck issue

jeremybme

I have a 16 ft car hauler. It had qty 15 2x6 boards on it. i removed them all and bought 15 pressure treated 2x6 boards. put them all on and the last board won't fit. is this common? none of the original boards were cut down etc. so i'm a little confused why i cant get the last board to fit... i have not secured any of them yet, wondering if i just need to pry the boards over and force it to fit?

I have a 16 ft car hauler. It had qty 15 2x6 boards on it. i removed them all and bought 15 pressure treated 2x6 boards. put them all on and the last board won't fit. is this common? none of the original boards were cut down etc. so i'm a little confused why i cant get the last board to fit... i have not secured any of them yet, wondering if i just need to pry the boards over and force it to fit?

Boards shrink and swell with moisture. If they're new, wet boards, they'll be bigger. How far off are we taking?

Boards shrink and swell with moisture. If they're new, wet boards, they'll be bigger. How far off are we taking?
Looks like the gap is 4.5 inches and the boards are 5.5 inches. so we're about an inch off. None of the boards are screwed down yet, so i suppose its possible if i start securing them and clamping them tight as i go, i might get to the last board and it fits.. i just wasn't sure and don't really wana make any mistakes since wood is so damn expensive right now. and yes they are new, and wet, pressure treated. the guy at the lumber yard told me it would take 3 months in the summer heat to dry them out.

Had the same issue. Wet and thick as opposed to old and dried out. “Trimmed” the center board as it was the thinnest the way my deck was laid out from factory. 4 wide boards from outside to center of the trailer on the left and right and a “gap filler” up the center. Shaved about an inch of the center 2x6 and screwed it all down. Hasn’t moved at all.

Had the same issue. Wet and thick as opposed to old and dried out. “Trimmed” the center board as it was the thinnest the way my deck was laid out from factory. 4 wide boards from outside to center of the trailer on the left and right and a “gap filler” up the center. Shaved about an inch of the center 2x6 and screwed it all down. Hasn’t moved at all.
Ok thats good to know. thats my only concern with ripping the center board was that if they were gonna all dry and leave a huge gap, but i guess if i screw it down enough places like it was it will probably be minimal. Thank you!

I can start to see some gap opening as the boards have dried a bit but it’s an equipment/ car hauler not a trailer I carry dirt on so gaps don’t bother me at all. Just gives the deck a place to drain better.

Are you sure your old center board isn’t just 4.5” and you didn’t notice it?

Many times manufacturers will rip one board to fit and place it in the center so it’s not as noticeable. This may be what happened if you didn’t check carefully before removal.

Are you sure your old center board isn’t just 4.5” and you didn’t notice it?

Many times manufacturers will rip one board to fit and place it in the center so it’s not as noticeable. This may be what happened if you didn’t check carefully before removal.
i did measure them all. and side to side is 82.5 inches on the trailer deck, which works out to 15 at 5.5 inches. either way this wood is wet and larger, or something, im probably just gonna rip the center board down and call it a day.

Back