Rescue Tellico - An Environmental Engineer's Perspective

J.C.

Volunteer
K. Flint Holbrook, PE

The comments by Paul Turcke, BRC counsel, accurately define the uphill battle we face. However, in my experience fighting with environmental agencies at the state level it pays to be ruthless, unrelenting, passionate with a go for the throat mentality, but with measured intensity and tenaciousness at each level acting without emotion and smartly with good timing. In most all cases the government can be beat at their own game. It only takes time and money to find the weak point and capitalize on it.

This will be a pivotal fight in protecting the off road community's right to enjoy recreation activity on public lands. If USFS (and others) can close one of the premier OHV areas without a fight, then we had better look out, as SELC and other similar organizations will go after our OHV areas with a vengeance.

It is extremely critical that we have the support of all of the four wheeling community including ATV, motorcycle, and four wheel drive clubs and organizations. It is also critical that business interests within the off road community become active in the fight. I know the economy has had an effect on this industry and it is a tough time for folks to get involved in another thing that cost money and time. However, the return on our investment (freedom to take advantage of our right to enjoyment of public lands we all pay for) is something we cannot afford to lose.

I am working diligently to provide meaningful input to the process. I want to encourage everyone to get involved in some way. It can be writing letters to congressional representatives, volunteering to assist in fund raisers, review documents and developing summaries of information, making financial contributions, speaking out about the issue, encouraging others to become involved, etc. While SFWDA has taken the lead in this effort, this is much more than a regional issue we need folks from all over the country to get involved. We all have a talents and skills this is a time when we need to use them for this cause.

God Bless All and let's go win this war!!

Back