retreaded tires

93redzj

I guess this goes here?? Anyway, I have a friend that has some 34" swampers he said I could have, they just needed to be retreaded, they will be going on a project of mine that will mainly be used for offroad but driven on the road every now and then. So has anyone had experience with retreaded tires? and are there any places local that retread tires? thanks for any advice

how the hell do you retread a tire?? Ive heard of it but never asked before.

sorry, college has got my brain clogged with malt balls and bong resin..

Ill be damned, I guess anythings possible, but where's a place that can retread swampers or boggers?

Retreading tires has been around a long long time. What they do is grind the remaining tread down and then add a layer of soft rubber. They then put it into a mold where it is heated to a pretty high temp. This makes it harder and adheres it to the tire.
Big trucks(truck tractors and trailors, semi's) do this often on rear axles and trailors. If you have ever been going down the highway and see a big stripof tire rubber, that's a retread, or "gator" as the truckers call them. These tires do not like heat, this can cause them to seperate. I am not so sure that they would like low air pressure either, and we all do that on the trails.

ON another note, Way back in the stone age when I was a teen, I couldn't afford new tires and regularly bought recaped "snow and mud tires" for my 48 willys. I thought they were awesome, of course at that age I also thought that I was 10' tall and bullet proof too.
I think I would use them on a DD rather than a trial rig. I have bought recapped tires with more aggressive tread and they did not ballance very good at all. So,... hope all this helps out a little.

thanks for the good info chip, yeah the tires would be just to get me by until I could afford bigger/newer ones, so is there any place local that retreads tires or do you have to send them off or what?

Buy used tires... I paid $30 each for some 32's for my tow rig until I could afford new ones...

Ive thought about buying used tires, at first I looked for some used 33's but some places I called said that people are running them until there is no tread left before trading them in or whatever, and if I find anyone sellling some locally then I cant come up with money quick enough and the tires get sold to someone else. Thats the reason I was looking into this retreading stuff.

save the money and keep it handy until someone comes up with a used set locally... if nobody is selling any, keep saving money until someone is or you can afford new ones...

i wouldnt even think about retreads.... think about it this way.... if a semi looses a tire, they still have 17 rolling.... more than enough to safely get off the road... if you lose a tire, that leaves you with 3 and it has been proven before, there arent many things that ride around on 3 wheels safely (think 3 wheelers from the 70's and 80's), your rig is no exception... either buy used or new....

my $0.02

I agree. Used are much safer. just hold on to the money until you can buy them. Lots of tires sold right here on this board. You can also check out Galloways or www.iwanna.com just a couple ideas

yeah tires frequently go up for sale around here..atleast once a day I see ad's for it..also check naxja.org they have a huge for sale section.

**actually there is two sets up for a 100 dollars right now**

I was riding in a church van with a group, going from Durham to Raleigh and we got out on 40, doing maybe 60 mph. Suddenly started hearing noise and the steering got shaky, next thing there was NO controlling anything except how to slow down and pull off.

When we got the tire off, it was obviously a retread that had separated. Somebody decided to go cheap, and put everybody's life in jeopardy who EVER used the thing.

Like the others said, go with either used or new. You might even try junkyards, but don't put a retread on a passenger vehicle of ANY kind.

Back