Ring Gear Bolt Questions

adamk

Here's the situation I'm in. I've got a D60 rear that's geared 4.88 using a ring gear spacer and 3 series carrier. I've had zero issues out of it. I bought an ARB second hand for it and plan to reuse the ring gear spacer (ARB is a 3 series) but I will need new ring gear bolts. I've called ECGS and they don't sell the longer bolts without the spacer. Standard D60 ring gear bolts are 1.125" long but with the spacer I need some that are 1.25" (the spacer is .150"-.165" thick based on google searches).

So this brings me to my questions...What grade are ring gear bolts? I've found what, I believe, I need at Fastenal but they don't have the serrated head. Is the serrated head needed when using lock-tite?

Here's the link to the bolts I've found.
1/2"-20 x 1-1/4" Phosphate and Oil Finish SAE J429 Grade 8 Hex Flange Bolt | Fastenal

Thanks,
Adam

Really needs to have a shank on the bolt (Gonna be a bitch to find, easiest way is to cut down 2" long bolts), don't really see the need for a flange either since the stocker's don't use one in most applications.

I’d get the flange head hex screws that you listed. FYI McMaster has them cheaper.

I’d think your ring gear is going to be the point of failure way before a handful of grade 8 screws fail across the threaded portion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What ^ said. I've installed many full thread ring gear bolts through the years, and never had an issue because of it. Many gear install kits come with them. A shoulder is "better" but, a properly torqued 1/2-20 bolt has about 14k pounds of clamping force...

Last edited:
What ^ said. I've installed many full thread ring gear bolts through the years, and never had an issue because of it. Many gear install kits come with them. A shoulder is "better" but, a properly torqued 1/2-20 bolt has about 14k pounds of clamping force...

To add to that the bolts transfer no torque, they only apply the clamping force. The friction between the two surfaces transfer the torque from ring gear to the carrier.

To add to that the bolts transfer no torque, they only apply the clamping force. The friction between the two surfaces transfer the torque from ring gear to the carrier.
Only true until they come loose, and then they transfer all the torque for a short while.

Back