Rubber Runflats

Metto

i got my H1's from galloways today and i got rubber runflats after seeing John (studnuts) cut all 4 of his tsl's at DPG this weekend (he is running the magnesium runflats). my question is, how do you get the rubber runflat in the tire? the hole in the tire is ~16.2" and the runflat is ~23". i just dont understand how you get it inside there. anyone know the answer?

madmonk said:
I'm not sure but I think you put a ratchet strap across it and squeeze it together then put it in the tire.

Yep, I think I have read something about a bottle jack too maybe inside. Not sure about that one though. Lay the tires and runflats out in the sun. Might help. I've never seen the rubber runflats. Only the mag ones and the pvc inserts. Can you cut the run flat part off of the rubber insert? Most people cut it off the mag ones. Buggy builder did I believe. Might make it easier to insert and they are not needed.

DK

I think he meant the rubber ones for the newer Hummers.. The ones with the radial tires.

Yeah, cut that shit off, just use the beadlock.

use a large rachet strap and becareful you dont hurt your self releasing it... (wear gloves)

fyi: on the magniesiem run flats... you need to trim the mag run flats down (or not air down) so they function as the center clamping piece and thats it...

cut it off with what? how the hell are you supposed get an even cut in rubber thats ~3" thick? any ideas? ill try a ratchet strap on it tomorrow and see what i can do. and yes these are the rubber runflats for the newer 12 bolt style rim (radial)

Man you got the mag ones still laying around?Id be glad to cut em for ya!I love burnin up the band saw at work!Really I could do them for ya ifin yous wantin me too.I would say a band saw would make a nice cut on rubber runflats as well. :huggy:

i just got rubbers, thats all they had anyway. i might hit you up for that bandsaw though. anyone know how much the PVC's run? if they are not too pricey i might buy some assuming the rubber ones dont work out

Use a ratchet strap and then use sheer brute force and kick...punch...dropkick...curse...repeat...until the rubber runflat is inside the tire. Then mount the tire, put the outside ring on, torque down. Its ok to leave the rubber runflat uncut, cut it if you like but not needed.

If you need any help let me know.

I would guess you could do what they do for Bogger lug cutting.. take the teeth off a sawzall blade, then have at it...

or a bandsaw...

i will need help...im just letting you know :lol:
i dont have any big ratchet straps, maybe whenever we go to clayton this week you could give me a hand?

StudNuts said:
Use a ratchet strap and then use sheer brute force and kick...punch...dropkick...curse...repeat...until the rubber runflat is inside the tire. Then mount the tire, put the outside ring on, torque down. Its ok to leave the rubber runflat uncut, cut it if you like but not needed.

If you need any help let me know.

Yah listen to Mr. Nuts he has this subject under control :smokin: :smokin:

Metto said:
cut it off with what? how the hell are you supposed get an even cut in rubber thats ~3" thick? any ideas? ill try a ratchet strap on it tomorrow and see what i can do. and yes these are the rubber runflats for the newer 12 bolt style rim (radial)

I cut the rubber runflat out of one of my tires with a sawzall. It took a while and was a stinkin mess. Wanted to avoid the ratchet strap method.
Eric

hey,tyrone biggums , quit chit chatting up my thread :flipoff2:. i dont really want to cut them down because i dont think i can do it evenly enough to make them balance right

sounds like a lot of hassle. my pvc inserts were beautiful although they were also tough to get inside the tire. Go on pirate and get the pvc inserts from 66cjdean, he is the one that sells the rock rings we talked about too.

oh and don't talk to tyrone like that unless you are informing him of the free crack 5 o'clock giveaway :flipoff2:

"REDBALLS, cocaine in a can baby."

66cjdean is a good one, and john at stazworks also sells rubber inserts. there are also some others on there, but can't remember their names.

the PVC's are like $50 a pop, thats a lot more than i expected. his rebar rings are only $6 though, might buy those

"i dont really want to cut them down because i dont think i can do it evenly... "enough to make them balance right""

what type/size tires do you plan to run? i would think that the insert wouldn't be the main factor in this if your running anything by super swamper. seems that as long as they were not /\/\/\/ all the way around that it wouldn't be a problem.

Back