SAS Connections

99Montero

Who's got good connections with people that know how to customize and do SAS. I've been pondering the thought for quiet sometime now, but in reality I cant afford it.:( I will probably wait to do this project for awhile, but I'm just curious to see who would refer who and where. I'm not looking for any back yard homemade SAS, someone locally and professional enough to do a good job, and not killer expensive too. I've seen alot of IFS rigs on here with swapped out SAS and wondering who took it where and what should I look at spending. I'm thinkin 3K :confused:

Anyone want to sponsor me :D :lol: just kiddin guys :D What other tips can you guys give me as to what type of axle for the front I should be looking for and the set up. I'm lookin for a coil set up and maybe keeping my rear factory axle, it still has the factory air locker. Here is a pic of my current status.
1120664565_fktmp512_0008.jpg

btw, i'm in Charlotte NC if you need to know location

Edited: sorry, still new to this board, just realized I posted this in the wrong section. How do I go about moving it to the correct section. Any mods can help me out.

Thanks for the help,
Angelo

www.carolinarockshop.com im about to do my winch with them and fair prices and if u do a quick search here on them you will find nothing but good experiences...located on south blvd

Andy that plug is a 50 $ discount right?

btw VERY nice and unique rig...i saw you at URE like 2 years ago I think...you were with a 4 runner and a tacoma..was that you?

I agree Andy & Jeff at CRS know exactly what there're doing, great quality work and competitive prices, give them a shout---704-525-5109 they are on south blvd in charlotte.

id reccomend jon back here in raleigh (studnuts on the board). its worth the drive for you, he does very good work, ive seen his buggy in action

jeep9mm said:
btw VERY nice and unique rig...i saw you at URE like 2 years ago I think...you were with a 4 runner and a tacoma..was that you?

Might have been me. Was it a black 4runner and a silver Taco? I've done a lil bit of work on my Monty since then, body lift, bigger tires, customize ARB bumper and winch, but nothing more, thats why I want to take the next big step, but it could be a costly step. I just want to break down a SAS project before I dive in. :eek: What axle recommendations do you guys have. My diff is on the drivers side, maybe a Dana 44 reverse high-pinion. Any other options :confused:

Thanks guys,
Angelo

99Montero said:
Might have been me. Was it a black 4runner and a silver Taco? I've done a lil bit of work on my Monty since then, body lift, bigger tires, customize ARB bumper and winch, but nothing more, thats why I want to take the next big step, but it could be a costly step. I just want to break down a SAS project before I dive in. :eek: What axle recommendations do you guys have. My diff is on the drivers side, maybe a Dana 44 reverse high-pinion. Any other options :confused:

Thanks guys,
Angelo

Angelo,
What size tires are you trying to run on it? You mentioned you are looking at coils, do you know the front end weight of the truck? What kind of budget are you looking to fit into, cause that will determine alot of how you want to start. Ford HP 44 might be a good option but you would have to convert it over to match the rear bolt pattern and narrow it to match the width on the rear. Swing by sometime and we can discuss it more. I talked to Steve and he said you were itching to do it so if we can help you out just let me know.
Andy

i will recomend crs again. they did a blazer and coiled it, and it turned out nice. they do first class work for resonable prices. no matter what in this industry its hard to find who u can trust. and i would not lose a minute of sleep while it is there being done. u are already ahead of the game by knowing you want some one professional to do it. good luck. mazer and andy are great choices to do the work for you.

on a side note when my 4runner got chopped bigblueram and tuite from this board did the majority of the work on it. the taught me some invaluable lessons about this whole sport. they didnt charge me a dime and even let me leave it in their yard for 2 months! so thanks fellas for makin me broke from an addiction!

I wouldn't discredit the backyard fabricators. Thats how most of this huge buggy/hardcore wheeling started. Sometimes they do some of the best work for very reasonable prices. Just keep your eyes open for someone and take the advice of the board and you'll be happy. BTW, CRS is not a bad place to go either.

Rob

FYI, not saying I want to do a SAS on your rig, but I would bet that a D44 from a 82-89 (w/o vac. disco) Jeep grand waggy would be your best bet. They already are 6 lug (which yours likely are), and the width would probably be pretty close to yours (guessing here). The Jeep D44's are not reverse cut hi-pinion's, but it would help keep the cost down.

The Ford axle would have to be shortened, and would need different hubs, plus the hi-pinion 'might' intefere with various things on your vehicle (oilpan, steering, etc.).

Just giving you other (hopefully cheaper) options.

Thanks for the advice guys. I heard a while back the best swapped in axle would be the grand waggy. I'm trying to budget this thing but at the same time make the SAS very useful and clean.

Andy, I remember I came by your shop back when it was in Concord. I saw alot of cool rigs you were working on. Glad to hear everything is working out at the other location. Yeah, I had talked to Steve about it, but not in much detail. I hate to bother him with my shit since he is always busy. Steve's a very good guy, helped me with alot. But now I have been itching to do more. I'll try and swing by sometime and chit chat about it and see what my options are. I'm still in the development stages so I have to keep my options open and under budget.

BTW, I dont know the front end weight of my Montero yet I'm looking at running around 37's. I can always cut away some body :D . I'll have to do more research. Thanks again,

Angelo

Back