Sawyer Certification Class Information

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
I saw there are a couple different posts in varying forums about people interested in getting Sawyer Certified so I figured I would get some information posted in a central location.

Sawyer Certification classes are on a limited basis, sometimes once or twice a year. Rodney Smith of the Forest Service administers the 2 day class, its usually 9am-4:30pm Friday and Saturday. Keep in mind the class is for limbing & bucking only, for felling its an entirely different more advanced class. Class size is typically limited to 7 people, so spots do tend to fill up fast when a class is announced.

Equipment involved in the class includes: Chainsaw, hard hat, chaps, ear plugs, eye protection, long sleeve shirt, long pants, work gloves, and work boots. The Forest Service has chainsaws, chaps, hard hats, ear plugs, and eye protection for those that don't have any yet. And keep in mind there are qualifications for chainsaws and chaps that can be used, so before you go out buying a new chainsaw/chaps you want to attend the class to get those specs/info.

The more volunteers we have out there sawyer certified the better, its especially key for clubs that volunteer/adopt a trail to have sawyer certified members.

Let me know when fridays are hard to get off but i will see what i can do...

I haven't talked to Rodney in a few years but I got my limbing and bucking card one cold Saturday wih him. Is it still good?

I'm in for a class

I haven't talked to Rodney in a few years but I got my limbing and bucking card one cold Saturday wih him. Is it still good?
Last time I talked with Rodney was the last Sawyer Class that I know of which was April 20th-21st 2012, for that matter I haven't seen much of Rodney or Pete this year. I don't know if your card is still good, but it would make sense if its a certification card it would be. I am always calling/e-mailing various people with the FS and I wouldn't mine asking for you if you would like. Or I can shoot you a PM with Rodney's e-mail, its up to you.

Certification is good for 3 years.

Last time I talked with Rodney was the last Sawyer Class that I know of which was April 20th-21st 2012, for that matter I haven't seen much of Rodney or Pete this year. I don't know if your card is still good, but it would make sense if its a certification card it would be. I am always calling/e-mailing various people with the FS and I wouldn't mine asking for you if you would like. Or I can shoot you a PM with Rodney's e-mail, its up to you.
Just ask when you see him next if you don't mind. Honestly I may not even have the card anymore. I'll have to wade through my desktop...

Back