SC history ride/ River camp/ work day

XJsavage

CounterCulture
I feel deeply honored to offer up an opportunity to do a lot of great things and have fun in the process.
Backstory:
A very good friend of mine that I've known since childhood, Mr Claude Faulkin (Retired US Army combat veteran) that served in Vietnam and bares the scars of being shot in the face in battle, needs our help. He owns acreage on the Broad river along hwy 34 on the Newberry county side. As a crow flies, it's only 45 minutes from Gulches ORV, in the middle of nowhere. He's in his 70s. Lost his wife to cancer and lives alone on a hill overlooking the river. Among his assets is an old historic building that's uphill from the river. It's recently gotten a new roof put on. The remaining tin he wants to side over the old slat boards. It'll require extension ladders and power tools. None of which is supplied, but material and fasteners are. Also, behind the building (circa 1900s) is a trail that I personally have ran before that leads all the way to some extraordinary campsites on the banks of the Broad. It'll need some clearing. It'll take a no BS 4x4 to access it.
What's GUARANTEED:
A free night in a 100+ year old building which used to be a general store, complete with wood stove and pool tables.
This place 15 years ago was a bar. Now with hopes of being revived. Open for the night to anyone who will show up and help cover just one side of the building and loan a hand in clearing the old trail to the river. He owns everything, and is simply reaching out for a hand in helping make his dream come true. Its more than what I can do by myself. He wants to bring life back to this incredibly cool roadside stop. I'll let the pics tell the story from here. Inquire within for contact info. I'll send you my personal # and his. Let's show a man who risked everything that there are still good people in this world. Love ya guys, thank you. Depending on volunteer ship, it'll either be next weekend or the following. Bring a good heart, some good hands, possibly a kayak/canoe and your camping gear. He's got a list of things to do that he is no longer able to do. You'll need 4x4 too to get to the water.
IMG_20210313_140229916_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210313_133012140.jpg

IMG_20210313_133040034.jpg

IMG_20210313_134509918.jpg

IMG_20210313_134910659.jpg

IMG_20210313_134630668.jpg

The man himself. Mr Claude Faulkin. Yes, the ole Chevy DOES still run.
IMG_20201003_171250717.jpg

Last edited:
When I get back from Florida I’ll shoot you a text. I’d be down to come down for a day trip to help.

Next two weekends I can’t but if the date slips I’ll be there

When I get back from Florida I’ll shoot you a text. I’d be down to come down for a day trip to help.
You got me on speed dial, honky.

Next two weekends I can’t but if the date slips I’ll be there
You got me on speed dial too, Mr honky.
If not, PM bound....

That's awesome. Wish I was able to come down and help. As always dude, you've got a heart of freaking gold.

I've got to work this weekend.
So if the 27th works i'm IN!
And don't ever call me a honky cuz i'm as black as the Ace of Spades.

I've got to work this weekend.
So if the 27th works i'm IN!
And don't ever call me a honky cuz i'm as black as the Ace of Spades.
Come on. Meet the man in person and have a chill spot for life.
One of my fellow volunteers lives 5 minutes away and collects Native American arrowheads.
From his personal collection. Found locally, as in his back yard. He's been blowing my phone up ready to help out.

3573.jpeg

3571.jpeg

3569.jpeg

Last edited:
Back