School me on trailer tars

Jody Treadway

Croc wearing fool
Running 235-80-16 and keeping 16" wheels.
It's time for a new set of matching tires. Current ones are 7 years old and starting to show some age. Gooseneck buggy hauler, it's a *cough* 9900 lb capacity :D 8 lug15k trailer.
What's the current hot poo tire out there? Not afraid to spend some coin for good stuff.

We’ve had really good service out of Sailun S637 tires on our heavier trailers. Probably what I’ll be looking for to upgrade my enclosed to.

Seems every time it comes down to Sailun or Carlisle radial HD. A couple of outliers but those two are always the leaders. I run Carlisle and have had great service for the cost but just my .02

I bought Carlisle's for my trailer from Discount Tire. It's been three years and a few thousand miles with no issues, a fair bit of those miles at 80mph+

Duane

Get the highest load rating you can, Ching Chong tires or not. Plan to replace them every 6 or 7 years even if they're not worn out.

Sailun, TransEagle, Hercules, and Carlisle come to mind. They all make 14 or 16 ply 235/85-16s.

Last edited:
Sailun S637's on mine. Had to plug one thanks to a piece of metal stabbing through in the parking lot of a stamping and fabrication facility, but otherwise they have been great. Sell the 16" wheels and tires for $200 and buy some pre shod 17.5's and bolt em on so you don't have to waste time/money getting them mounted and balanced.

Real happy with my Transeagle G rated tires. They've taken my 13k+ camper on 2 trip[s around the country, with some of that being down some rough dirt roads and BLM land.

Sailuns and Blackhawks seem to do well for me. 14-16 ply. Pretty much anything that has tread like a school bus tire has done well, any trailer tire that has grippy looking tread blows up in my experience... School bus tread trailer tires for life

Sailuns. Nothing else for me in 16”. 15” are maxxis m8008.

I just got a set of TransEagle 14 plies from the zon. Haven’t mounted them yet, but they seem to be a big step up from the 10 plies I’ve been running.

IMG_3982.jpeg

I'm running Trans Eagles on my trailer. !5" Load Range E. So far, so good. Several trips to Windrock, GER, Kairos, etc. When I find a job again, I'll get 2 more to replace the spares as those are only good for an emergency and maybe not far after.

Back