Selling scrap in Triangle

cj777

I recently had to replace the cat in my TJ. I've heard several people mention being able to sell them for decent amounts as scrap, but I've never sold scrap before so I wouldn't know where to go. Is there any place in the Raleigh Durham area, and is it worth enough to be worthwhile or should I just throw it out?

Dont throw it away...there are plenty of folks that will pay you for it. The price depends on several things. Aftermarket cats dont bring hardly anything, but factory ones do.

Look up a core/metal recycler in your erea, and get some $$

M.Cutler is on the forum here, he'd buy it if you were closer.Maybe try him?

Dont throw it away...there are plenty of folks that will pay you for it. The price depends on several things. Aftermarket cats dont bring hardly anything, but factory ones do.
Look up a core/metal recycler in your erea, and get some $$
M.Cutler is on the forum here, he'd buy it if you were closer.Maybe try him?

It's a factory cat off of an 03 TJ. The problem I'm having with most local metal recyclers is they don't seem to buy cats separately from cars due to all the recent converter thefts. Which I don't blame them, but I've got only one cat, from my jeep, which I'd be driving to the recycler. So it's pretty obvious where it came from and that it's not stolen. I sent Mcutler a message, maybe he can offer some advice

Haven't sold one yet either, & heard lots of prices. Dealer friend told me, the older models brought more, because they contained a higher content of precious metals. Mainly platinum. Newer cars have greatly reduced the contents. If there is nothing wrong with the cat, You should be able to sell it for a lot more than scrap. Check the dealer, for list price! :alien:

You'd be amazed how much more you can get by shopping around. One place in Durham gives a flat $25 while another lookes it up in the books and can range from $20 - $200.

I've heard Ebay was a good place to sell them from several people.

it depends on if it is classified as a "small" a "big" or an "exotic". i've seen some exotics go between $200-250 so yea its well worth looking into.the smalls go for around $75-100 but it

American Metals in Garner, NC 919-772-6527(near Raleigh), Don't know about current prices but a few years ago I sold them a OEM cat off my sons 95 Honda Civic for $140.00, Also had a few 04 WRX cats that were over $100.00 for each..
They have weird hours, please call first..

Scrap yards will not give you half that!

Back