Sept 20th 2014 Uwharrie Workday thread.

krzyabncanuck

BLM HOTSHOT
Next workday is coming up folks. At this time i am unsure what all will be getting done as Terry is still out on Fire detail AFAIK. Just trying to get this out early to give people a decent amount of heads up time.

Hi Everyone – I’m back from my fire detail that was in northern CA. I’m sorry for the delay in getting this message out.

The September 20th Workday is on and Darin has graciously said he’ll take care of the sign ups and he’ll get passes from Janet for those of you who don’t have one for your vehicles. I won’t be here this weekend because I’ll be at UNCA with my daughter for Parents Weekend!!!

We got some more guardrail and carsonite signs. I’ll get the signs ready with “No vehicles beyond this point” or something like that is what we purchased & they just got delivered this week. I’ll have a lot of carsonites ready and the carsonite pounder will be at Janet’s shed for Darin to pick up. I’ll also have the number decals, the orange diamonds and the arrows, hammers & nails for a crew or two that really know the correct locations of the trails to add more diamonds and arrows and then to put the correct trail # on them to help with people’s directions out there. Try to mark the trails so that when you’re coming from both direction that the trail corridor is marked so that you can see the orange diamonds on the left and right side of the trail so people ride in-between the trail blazes to be on the correct trail corridor. Pick trees that are in pretty good shape and that are pretty close to the edge of the trail corridor.

We have guardrail and posts and we have several areas to put them up to work on Dickey Bell Trail some more. Darin if you know of more areas on other trails and have enough people that you can direct to the correct areas then feel free to send another crew to the other sites. If not then please get as much of Dickey Bell done as possible. I’ll have the augers, nuts & bolts, ratchets, and other stuff needed for the guardrail installation out at Janet’s too for you to pick up.

The October workday has been changed to be on October 25th!!!! For this work day I’ll have seed, mulch and fertilizer and we’ll be doing some revegetation work behind some of the guardrail we’ve installed. We’ll be reshaping the areas as best we can with hand tools unless we can get some equipment to the sites and then we’ll be spreading some native plant seed & fertilizer & mulching there areas to help get some vegetation to regrow in the areas we’ve blocked off. We’ll probably have more guardrail to install and more signs to put up too. I’ll be working with you all on that day. Please put this on your calendars and let your members know of this date change.

Thank you all again. Thank you Darin for helping out again and getting the sign up information, etc.

Janet – Please work with Darin on getting the passes and the sign-up sheets and tools and guardrail from the spray field. I appreciate your help.

Bye - Terry

Yes! Looks like I finally have a weekend off from work. Count me in on this one! Id love to help wherever I can. From picking up trash, to blocking illegal bypasses. I'm going to camp Friday night, and help/wheel all day Saturday. Woohoo!! :driver:

uploadfromtaptalk1411255284434.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1411255317501.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1411255337809.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1411255367707.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1411255391730.jpg
People were going around the guard rail we just put up last workday so I had that covered today. Put up more thanks the CNC and a few other fine folks today.

uploadfromtaptalk1411255776659.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1411255803424.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1411255827562.jpg
. Next place we need to block off next workday. About 100 feet of guard rail will be needed. We have blocked it at least 5 times that I have helped with over the last year with logs. They just drag it out of the way and drive back there and then use the wood for firewood. Am tired of it.

Someone from today has a wooden post hole digger from the USFS that I would like to give them back. Please have all the folks check your trucks.

After my crew split up, I spent a few hours picking up trash. To whoever left this - I appreciate you packaging it up so nicely for me, but a f&%#ing garbage can was only about 100 yards away and is there for a reason:

SAM_2034 (800x600).jpg

All in all I got about 5 bags along with some body trim pieces and other oddball items:

SAM_2045 (800x600).jpg

Shaggy

I would like to thank you all for your hard work this weekend, I hate I couldnt make it. It is not an easy task taking care of the trail system. I am gong to do my best to hit the fall workdays hard, as should everyone else.

Back