September Workday, Bobcat issue

DRaider90

Uwharrie Off-Road Volunteering
As some of you know we will be renting a Bobcat for the September workday. We will also be getting a free Hydraulic Breaker attachment rental since we didn't get to use it when we rented it in June. Only problem is we don't have anyone to pick it up/drop it off from RS Braswell Bobcat in Kannapolis. We can't use the machine if we can't get it transported. If anyone is willing to pick up the Bobcat Friday, take it to URE Friday or Saturday, and drop it back off Monday please post up here or shoot me a PM. Thanks in advance.

I dont think I'll be able to help, but how much will it weigh? That may help others know if their truck/trailer can handle it. I doubt my trailer would like it anyway?

I've got a trailer that could handle the wieght, but no truck to haul it.

I also work every other weekend and haven't checked the date yet so I don't know if I could make it yet.

I've got a trailer that could handle the wieght, but no truck to haul it.

I also work every other weekend and haven't checked the date yet so I don't know if I could make it yet.

That reminds me, I should post up when the workday is. September 17th is the Saturday of the workday. That means it would have to be picked up the 16th, and dropped back off the 19th. As far as getting it to URE, getting it up there Friday or Saturday works. I know this usually means not hauling a trail rig up for some people, but I am always happy to let whom ever hauls the Bobcat drive my truck on the trails during the workday.

As of now I am off work. Ill see what I can do.

Weight?

Unless Braswell can tell you, [ or Bobcat] better figure on 8000 lb. I brought home my company's Cat 247, on my car trailer. Thought trailer was rated 7000, don't think so. With tires @ 60psi [rated 50], they were 1/2 flat. Took all back roads @ 20/25mph, about 10 mi.,1 way. Biggest scare was stopping, using surge brakes. Wont do that again!:stupid:

Unless Braswell can tell you, [ or Bobcat] better figure on 8000 lb. I brought home my company's Cat 247, on my car trailer. Thought trailer was rated 7000, don't think so. With tires @ 60psi [rated 50], they were 1/2 flat. Took all back roads @ 20/25mph, about 10 mi.,1 way. Biggest scare was stopping, using surge brakes. Wont do that again!:stupid:

The S-185 and S-205 are both right around 6,200lbs. Tack on the weight of the hydraulic breaker and you are talking 6,500lbs or so. Its a good ways from the T-190 which is 7,700lbs that we usually use. Or consider the T-300 we used in June which is around 9,300lbs, that had a 1,000lb 4in1 Bucket on it. So it was 10klbs minimum. So the S-185/S-205 are on the lighter side of things.

I'm stayin away from the front of whatever bobcat is there. :lol:

I just hope someone can help out with hauling it, the word I got back from Terry Savery about them (Forest Service) hauling it doesn't sound anywhere near promising. This is the first time we have had the money for the rental before we had someone to haul it. :confused:

Anyone willing to help with the bobcat issue? Terry Savery sent out the workday e-mail for September so I need to let her know if we can handle hauling the bobcat. And I have been waiting to setup the September Workday thread till we knew what was going on.

Sorry, but my trailer don't have enough ass for a Bob Cat. The War Wagon was too much for it.

What's the detail for the pickup and return of the Bobcat? When does it have to be picked up on Friday and when does it have to be returned on Monday?

Making some runs in the Uwharrie area last week I noticed two equipment rental places on HWY 49. One on each side of HWY 109 about the same distance away. It would seem that these would be a more logical choice for rentals as fa as logistics go, at least it would merit being looked into if it hasn't been already.

I've got a line on a 773 that may solve our issues with rentals, don't wanna speak too soon, but if it works out it will be a great help and savings in rental fees to us.

It's something I'm working on/finding out about.

I've gotta agree with JC on this one, if I didn't have to drive an hour out of my way just to pick up the bobcat I wouldn't be as worried about towing it. Any money being saved on the rental price is being used for gas.

If the rental just needed picked up a short ways from URE it would make it much easier to have it picked up by someone along the way.

Keep in mind the location of the rental place being closer to Uwharrie usually isn't a plus. It would only be beneficial if:

1.)The Rental Place was open the day they (whom ever is hauling the Bobcat) went to Uwharrie

2.)The Rental Place was open the day they (whom ever is hauling the Bobcat) came back from Uwharrie.

Most rental places are not open Saturday/Sunday, and the rare ones that are open on a Saturday are only open a short period of time. If the person hauling the Bobcat was coming up on Saturday morning, that means the rental place would have to be open Saturday morning. And then most people go home Saturday afternoon, and that means the rental place would have to be open Saturday afternoon also.

In reality a rental place nearest to the house of whom ever is hauling the bobcat is what is the most convenient. So when they pick it up Friday they don't have to go out of their way, and when they drop it off Monday they don't have to go out of their way. We got lucky that the Bobcat contact we were put in with was at RS Braswell which is near where Chris (who has hauled the Bobcat the last 4 times) lives. Only if someone lives near Uwharrie then a rental place out near Uwharrie would work.

Not trying to be negative, just something to consider. :beer:

My thoughts are more that the FS could haul it easier if it was closer to URE, this way we don't have to worry about who tows it everytime. I know they did this once from RS braswell, possible they could commit to a regular thing once every few months as needed?

My thoughts are more that the FS could haul it easier if it was closer to URE, this way we don't have to worry about who tows it everytime. I know they did this once from RS braswell, possible they could commit to a regular thing once every few months as needed?

The problem you face with having the FS haul the Bobcat is comprised of a couple things.

1.)Someone available with a CDL. There are only a limited amount of people at the FS that have CDL's to drive the flatbed they use to haul equipment.

2.)Usually OHV Trail stuff including the workdays falls into overtime hours. If they can't afford overtime at the time, it makes it really hard to get someone to haul it.

3.)Part of the 1st point, the people that have CDLs are usually on fire detail, out of state, etc etc.

When it boils down to it I don't know if a 45 minute-hour round trip (somewhere closer to URE), or a 1hr 1/2 to 1hr 45min trip will make a huge difference.

We can look into the places closer to URE, but I don't know if it will bring anything to light.

I heard back from Terry Savery today, here is an piece of what I found out:

Hi Eli - Pete & Jeff are on a hurricane detail until next week - probably until the 14th. I'll talk with Kelly let you know on Monday if he can get the Bobcat picked up on Friday. So far there are folks coming up from CTB, CFSJC, CORE but I don't have number counts for them so I'm not going to have too many projects on our list to overwhelm everyone. I'm going out tomorrow and flagging stuff that wasn't completed in June that we can get done on the 17th. If we can get the Bobcat up here on Friday I'd have you work with the hydraulic breaker to do those sites on Rocky Mountain Loop.

I have also been in contact with off_road2 talking to him about the possibility of him hauling it. It is looking like between the 2 we will have the Bobcat out there.

Back