shackling yj

Jeepster90

Joined the Band
Banned
I was wanting to gain another inch or so on my jeep and i thought about shackling it, I have heared good and bad things about this, this is more of a dd to me, i have a 4in suspension lift on it right not. so i need to know if i should shackle it and if so what type and how long of shackles should I buy?

shackles add 1/2 the total distance of the size shackle you put on.. ie..if you add a 1" you only add 1/2" in height. In my opinion.. they look silly.. you see them everyday 4" shackles..and they just look unsafe.

I've had them on my truck for awhile now. They haven't given me any problems and they are out atleast 4" pro 6". Personally I don't like them at all. Your springs will stick down and on top of that if you already have a 4" lift your better off buying stock springs and flipping the axles underneath the leafs.

if you want to do shackles, do boomerang shackles. high dollar, but by far better than any other ones out there. if you want to stay cheap, just do a body lift.

bronc'nBK said:
if you want to do shackles, do boomerang shackles. high dollar, but by far better than any other ones out there.

Uhh, why is that?

bronc'nBK said:
they ride better and are actually functional.

Do you want to rethink that one and get back to us?

Take your time.

So they are greasable ... so they probably do ride better than stock.
Running them on the front will help prevent shackle/spring inversion.
Running them in the rear will allow the spring a greater range of motion and better articulation.

So whats wrong with what he said?

Take your time now.

kcarroll said:
So they are greasable ... so they probably do ride better than stock.
OK, no arguement there, though how good is a 4" lifted YJ gonna ride that's not on something made like an Alcan or similar?
Running them on the front will help prevent shackle/spring inversion.
no arguement there either
Running them in the rear will allow the spring a greater range of motion and better articulation.
Is that because a straight shackle would hit something? I seem to remember something like that on a YJ.

BUT, if the shackle is nearly vertical, you've got limitations forming that no shackle alone will cure.

Just SOA the fawker. ;)

It lets the rear of the spring move back and up a little more and clear the frame.

To be honest its been so long since I've driven my junk, I seem to be remembering it riding like a cadillac and that can't be right. :huggy:

Back