Shift linkage adjustment

Trebissky

So lately it seems like the tranny only wants to go all the way into Park (and engage the pin) about 1/2 the time. The rest of the time it'll still roll free until you put it into Park for about the 3rd or 4th time. This is in my 1990 S15 Jimmy.

Also, I've noticed that when I go to put it in Reverse, sometimes it'll seem to be in Neutral instead, and when it's in Overdrive, the indicator on the dash looks like it's in Neutral instead. :confused:

How hard is it to adjust this so it's where it's supposed to be again?

I really need some help here. This thing seems to be getting worse as it goes along. I'm wondering how long it'll be until it won't even go INTO Park.

Okay, SOMEbody here has to know something about GMC S15's. If I can find out how to do this stuff RIGHT by myself I won't have to pay someone else to do it. Gimme a little help here, guys.

Not sure if the S15 has any similarity to a full size but to me it sounds like your linkage needs to be adjusted. This can be done by climbing undernaeth and locating the rod coming from your shifter and going to one side of the transmission. Should be threaded as to where you can adjust the travel of the transmission shifter with what you need witht he shift lever inside the truck. If that doesn't work well look at replacing the parking pin in the transmission. Nto sure how to do that because I am totally stupid when it comes to any type of transmissions.

Well, that's more info than I had yesterday. Thanks.

Hope it helps you out. Anything else just let me know and I will assist as much as I can.

Another thing to check on.
Under the vehicle where the shift linkage hooks up it will bend in an "L" and go through a "C" brackket on the tranny with a codder pin on back side. Off this set up it will be leveraged in place with a dome washer into a metal "cup" shaped bracket with a spring to add tension. if the dome washer slides out of place or out all together the rod can go through the placement bracket and cause binding and the symptoms you describe.

I am not a great visual descriptor. Does this post make any sense?

Yeah, at least now I have an idea what to look for. Hope to get to it this weekend. Thanks again.

Well I finally got under there and, knowing what to look for, found that the bolt on the attachment for the shift rod was loose letting the linkage move around enough to put the shifter out of sync. Once I held it where it should be and tightened up the bolt, it seems to be working fine again.

Thanks for the tips! :beer: :beer:

Try exploring your truck a bit, take things apart, check things out, so in the future, WHEN something breaks, you have an idea of whats going on it where you live, not out in the woods. DO IT BEFORE YOU HAVE PROBLEMS !!

Get a HAYNES manual at minimum.

I can pretty much garuntee, if you have a problem on the trail, and you know nothing about your own junk, the folks you are with might make sure you get it out and to the road, but you'll be hard pressed to get folks to ride with you again !!!

Possibly the reason you got no response to you questions for over a week is because you wanted someone to fix it for you.

You made darn sure we knew you put a TJ bumper on yer stuff, but why was it so difficult to hunt down the shifting problem ? It'll move with out the Jeep waste, it won't if the shift linkage falls off.

Think about it.

Kevin

This is intended to be constructive criticisim, not a flame.

No, I didn't want someone to fix it for me, just to let me know what to look for and where. Fact is, I've almost never done much work on cars before... but I did a LOT of it on tanks, mainly because I had the tools AND manuals. So, call me a late-bloomer, but at least I'm out here trying to learn stuff.

Also, unlike a lot of you, I'm working on a VERY small bankroll. In fact it's more like I'll do whatever IF and when I can afford it. The advice I just got about the shifter saved me a MINIMUM of $50 for someone else to look at it, let alone fix it, and I appreciate that, believe me.

Thing is, I know my truck does need a good bit of stuff done to it before it's ready to go on a trail. That's why it hasn't BEEN on a trail yet. One'a these days, though.

As for that jeep bumper, I explained why I put it on there. First, I like the look better, but also it's flat and square, so other things will mate up to it better. Such as maybe a good winch, some day.

I'm learning more every day about 4x4ing and can't wait to get out there with you guys, but I'm not about to put a truck on dirt if it's not up to it. Trust me. :beer:

By the way, I've been looking for one of those manuals for a while. Seems like everywhere I go they have everything BUT for an S-10/S-15.

Back