Shock tuner wanted

GubNi

8 lug disc brakes?
I am looking for someone with lots of experience to help me with setting up the shocks on my buggy. I want to drive down one day. Work with this person for the day and drive home the same day. Is there anyone around with the skills and professionalism I am looking for? If so please tag them and I will see if they think they can help. Part of my problem is I honestly don't know what all needs to be done. I do know they have never been tuned and when I jumped recently the bump stops hit so hard they bent the plate on the axle.

no_fear.jpg

It's going to be a long drive there are people around here but in my experience they won't take the time to do what you really need all the help I have found is from the west coast

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Call Ryan at Accutune and he will ask a lot of questions and have you measure angles and lengths of your shocks and springs along with preload amounts. You can then purchase the recommended valve stacks from them and have them installed locally.
And yes I can do the revalving for you.

Sorry, need video from the exterior to see what the wheels are doing on the terrain. A pic at ride height would be good also, to see how she sits, spring wise, and geometry.

Everyone has given good advice. Tuning won't happen quickly. As an excellent tuner told me; it takes 20% of the time to get to 80% performance; but it takes 80% of the time to get that last 20%...never reaching 100. Every track, race, speed, driver, load and terrain will make the car behave differently. It's about little comprises to get it to work good....80% of the time.
(The 80/20 rule...evident in life in more places than shocks...)

Matt

Please re-verify shock package. Shock length, top and bottom spring length, and known preload front and rear. Also pressure in the bumps.

Rear springs look good but doesn't look like there is any pre load. Front either has short spring set or excessive pre load to achieve ride height.

Just a quick look at the video. Looks like you've got too much rebound dampening, or not enough pre load in the rear for sure.

Matt

If you feel like removing springs, use a bathroom scale and compress spring 1".

Also the free length of each spring at ride height.

Post your preload amount.
Fully extend the shock, zero preload means the top adjustment nut just does touch the top spring.

If it bottomed out harshly after a big jump with big air, that means your medium speed compression valving is too light.

Looking at those videos is difficult to really see. Some high quality video going over some simple dirt piles like whoops and something like a table top would help.

How much psi in the bumps?

First guess from what you have posted, and this is just a guess as I need more info.

You definitely need to get some preload in the springs, and probably lighten the rebound valving significantly.

Next change would be to stiffen the compression some, and lose some psi in the bumps.

Last edited:
Please re-verify shock package. Shock length, top and bottom spring length, and known preload front and rear. Also pressure in the bumps.

Rear springs look good but doesn't look like there is any pre load. Front either has short spring set or excessive pre load to achieve ride height.

Just a quick look at the video. Looks like you've got too much rebound dampening, or not enough pre load in the rear for sure.

Matt

I just rechecked - Rear - fox with 18" viper springs - front FOA 16" with 16" lower and 14" upper viper springs - spring rates unreadable other than front upper is 100

Last edited:

Matt
This x2

The fronts are 16" FOA coil overs.

The front lower springs are 16" and measure .464" diameter. It took about 125lb to compress 1". It's possible it might be 150lb because I was a little shakey, lol.

The front upper springs are 14" and measure .415" and are clearly marked 100lb. One my scale it took 100lb to compress 1"

The rears are 18" Fox coil overs

The rear upper springs are 18" and .393" diameter

The rear lower springs are 18" and .494" diameter

The springs that are still labeled with the spring rate are viper brand. They all appear to be the same brand.

The fronts are 16" FOA coil overs.

The front lower springs are 16" and measure .464" diameter. It took about 125lb to compress 1". It's possible it might be 150lb because I was a little shakey, lol.

The front upper springs are 14" and measure .415" and are clearly marked 100lb. One my scale it took 100lb to compress 1"

The rears are 18" Fox coil overs

The rear upper springs are 18" and .393" diameter

The rear lower springs are 18" and .494" diameter

The springs that are still labeled with the spring rate are viper brand. They all appear to be the same brand.
How much preload currently?

Back