Shop Door problem.

ghost

So I went to open a door at my shop and the door was stuck. I tried to push it open and the bottom gave out. Friend in town is a builder so he sold me a door to throw up. Damn thing is too small. My old door was 36” x 83”. Google shows 80” and 84” doors. WTH…
IMG_7232.jpeg
IMG_7231.jpeg
IMG_7234.jpeg
IMG_7235.jpeg

From what i know, 80 is a more common size now. Back in the day, 84 was more common. I bet the rough opening on this was too short and they cut down a 84" door.

From what i know, 80 is a more common size now. Back in the day, 84 was more common. I bet the rough opening on this was too short and they cut down a 84" door.
Yea I'm wondering if this was a door cut down. The front door is steel. I've been looking around at those but looks like they are $1K on average. I need to be cheaper than that. I'll probably be looking for a building material salvage place.

I have a 36x80 steel exterior door you can have. Cut a 2x4 to size to fill the gap at the top, and screw it into the door or frame, whichever works better. Rock on.

Oh, and the door I have looks a hell of a lot better than that one in your pics :laughing:

I have a 36x80 steel exterior door you can have. Cut a 2x4 to size to fill the gap at the top, and screw it into the door or frame, whichever works better. Rock on.
I might have to take you up on that door. I wonder if I can weld to it.. Also from what I'm seeing the hing mounting points might be different.

I might have to take you up on that door. I wonder if I can weld to it.. Also from what I'm seeing the hing mounting points might be different.
Nah, its just a sheetmetal skin. I mean, if you're a auto bodywork pro you might could weld to it, but I would succeed in simply melting it.

Stick some fans up there, looks to me like you just got some free ventilation for airflow.

Back