Shop recomendation for Jeep CJ drivetrain work

RockinXJ

I have a 1977 Jeep CJ 5 Golden Eagle edition that has a 350 Chevy motor that was installed by the previous owner. It also had the original 3 speed trans and stock transfer case. I removed it and the plan was to swap in a SM 465 and Dana 300. Where it sits now is the transmission (Sm465) is in and has the stock Chevy transfer case still attached.

Work that will need to be done:
-install Dana 300 with correct adapter ( have transfer case)
-Fab a cross member
-Establish clutch linkage
-Make front and rear drive shaft

Who comes to mind that does this kind of work, and If your a sponsor that is interested in doing the work, what is a rough estimate of cost. You are welcome to send me a PM if you would rather not publish your estimate. I'm in the Lexington NC area and will have no problem getting the Jeep to your shop. Local is preferred but willing to travel if its beneficial cost wise.

Last edited:
Picture of Jeep:
ai272.photobucket.com_albums_jj175_davidfritts_BrownJeep.jpg

Thanks for the interest Novacayne, you have a rough idea on the cost? I can estimate the cost of the transfer case and adapter, but the labor is something I have no clue on. Again you can send me a PM if you'd rather.

I'm looking to move forward with this after the first of the year, anyone local interested? Greensboro, High Point, Winston Salem area?
Does Oliver's drive shaft do this kind of work?

Well, I dropped the Jeep off at Tarheel 4WD Saturday. I hope to get it back in a few weeks. I will update with pictures and a write up when I get it back. I think after seeing their shop, and previous work, I'm in great hands.

Just an update to finalize the story. The jeep is now rolling under its own power again. After one month at Tarheel I decided I would go pick it up. I was convinced they did not care to work on the Jeep. Every phone call was more bad news with no positive plan other than spend more money. I admit the Jeep is not a trailer queen and was sitting for 7 years, but the basics were there. After picking it up at Tarheel, I took it to Galloways where it sat for quite a while (you can do the math if it is just now driving again) However the work performed is great. They moved the motor forward 3.5 inches giving me more room for a more desireable driveline angle. The price was actualy less than initaly qouted, for more work then originaly planned. Overall i'm happy, Jeeps is now mobile, I actualy drove the Jeep 50 miles Sunday!

Glad you got it going. With the parts you supplied us, the budget you had in mind, what you were looking to have us do, and the parts required for us to purchase, it was not in the cards for us to do the job. Glad the guys out there could put it together for you.

Back