Shop Roof issues

R Q

I piggybacked on the Roof Coatings thread but have a couple questions and comments about mine.
My shop is old and has corrugated aluminum as siding and roof. It's needed some love for a while and the 4" of rain last week made me decide to work on them. I have a 30' x 50' shop and a 24' x 24' building. The big shop had 10' x 10' of rotted clear fiberglass as a roof light and it leaked like hell so I replaced it Friday afternoon with corrugated steel roofing and coated it with Home Depot's best Henry Elastomeric roof coating. I can scratch it off with my fingernail. :mad: Spray paint would have been better.
The big shop has had all nails replaced with screws but they weren't aluminum or stainless so the tops are rusted so I'm painting them with Rust Reformer before I cover them with some type of roofing caulk.
The smaller shop still has aluminum ring shank roofing nails which a lot of them are pulling out. I replaced all that were loose or coming out with aluminum screws and my intent was to replace all of them but I'm doing more damage to the tin trying to get them out. So I hammered all of the rest of them tight and added screws where needed. So I'm figuring that over time they will start working back out with the expansion and contraction and I was wondering if I were to put a screw within a half inch from them, would they still work loose over time?
And now I'm on another quest for a good sealer for the nail heads and screws. I've abandoned coating the whole roofs.

Back