Short arms binding

jyaks

Too many kids for a TJ
I've got a TJ with all adjustable control arms and a 8.8 in the rear. Once I did the 8.8 swap with same tire size it feels like I've lost all the flex in the rear axle. Also the rear seems to be bottoming out all the time and never seemed to be an issue before the changes.

Just seeing if there was any advice on how to tweak the rear suspension to work better.

39DB0464-658C-4295-9BA5-3049ED8C47FA.jpeg
image.jpg

I've got a TJ with all adjustable control arms and a 8.8 in the rear. Once I did the 8.8 swap with same tire size it feels like I've lost all the flex in the rear axle. Also the rear seems to be bottoming out all the time and never seemed to be an issue before the changes.

Just seeing if there was any advice on how to tweak the rear suspension to work better.

View attachment 361410View attachment 361413
Did you swap arms at the same time you did the 8.8? The stamped sheet metal and rubber bushings of the factory arms are surprisingly good for flex.

Are you sure the bottoming or isn't the diff hitting the gas tank? If the mounts were welded on offset from where they should be then that could cause binding in a bushings style are. Little late now but it would've been prime time to 4 link the rear during the 8.8 swap.

Panhard bracket, too. If the track bar is binding in the brackets or hitting other things (gas tank, diff cover, etc) it will restrict movement, especially with hard joints.

Are you sure the bottoming or isn't the diff hitting the gas tank? If the mounts were welded on offset from where they should be then that could cause binding in a bushings style are. Little late now but it would've been prime time to 4 link the rear during the 8.8 swap.
I think you welded these on for Joe. That's where I got the axle and the control arms from. All adjustable control arms but had to buy the rear uppers from core 4x4.

Panhard bracket, too. If the track bar is binding in the brackets or hitting other things (gas tank, diff cover, etc) it will restrict movement, especially with hard joints.
Just put an adjustable track bar in because I thought the stock one was limiting it.

Just put an adjustable track bar in because I thought the stock one was limiting it.
If the adjustable one has rod ends or something along those lines (not rubber), it may flex less due to binding between the panhard and the uppers and lowers. When it's straight stuff or droop (both sides at the same time), the axle just swings side to side and up and down, no problem. When you try to stuff one tire and droop out the other, the axle can be overly constrained by the links. This is sort of like the reason why radius arm suspensions bind up.

Not saying that's the problem, but if you went from all rubber joints to (some??) cartridge joints/SREs/etc, it's possible. You might also be running out of shock if the mounts on the axle are higher or lower than the previous axle. I can't tell what kind of joints are in the pictures, and it's tough to say how much or how little the rear axle is twisted up. I'd pick up each rear tire one at a time and make sure there isn't something obvious limiting the travel.

I think you welded these on for Joe. That's where I got the axle and the control arms from. All adjustable control arms but had to buy the rear uppers from core 4x4.
That 8.8 was before my time. Which control arms did you buy? Best thing to do pull the springs and start test flexing until to see if the issue is something obvious.

View attachment 361410View attachment 361413
Look into jeepwest on Facebook and all he does to improve TJs

Back