Should I buy a Diesel? Or asking for trouble?

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by JonBoy, Apr 22, 2007.

1. JonBoy

JonBoy Active Member

First off let me say I have no real need for one as I have nothing to pull and have never needed to haul anything over 3000lbs. Anyway reason I am asking is it seems that I could sell my 98 Chevy 5.0 5-speed 4x4 ex-cab, and get a 95-96 diesel for about $1000 more. Just seems like a huge upgrade for only a little more cash. However not that I know much of anything about my gas motor I know nothing about diesel.

2. rattlecanpaint

rattlecanpaint Well-Known Member

What kind of diesel?

3. JonBoy

JonBoy Active Member

4. rattlecanpaint

The first one is a 1/2 ton truck with a diesel in it? Never heard of such a thing, but then GM ain't the brightest bulb in the hallway. I think I'd stick with what you got. Those diesels don't seem to stack up against a CTD or a PS. I believe they are just a regular gas block (400 maybe?) with higher compression pistons and heads. Hence the low low price. Diesels as a rule are much more expensive to work on and rebuild. (Though you do it at a much later date than a gasser.) Not too sure about the fuel mileage vs a gasser on those either.

5. orange150

orange150 Well-Known Member

it's weird this came up because today while walking back from class i saw a 2 door Tahoe (yes, 1/2 ton) with a diesel. It looked just like any other 2 door Tahoe but had a rattling diesel under the hood. It was pretty cool.

6. RufusTheRam

RufusTheRam New Member

yep. 2 door tahoes/yukons and 1500's were available with the 6.5. the vp at my old job had a 2 door yukon with ~350k miles.

the 6.5 isn't enough motor in stock form to give a half ton chassis any trouble. it wouldn't be worth it to trade your current truck for one though.

7. thecarman

thecarman Well-Known Member

Lots of GMs came that way. My 1990 1/2-ton Burb has the 6.2L diesel.

That's very true.

That is NOT right at all. The 6.2 and 6.5L GM diesels are Detroit Diesel engines. They are not based on a gas block at all - totally different other than bellhousing bolt pattern. Heavier than a big block Chevy. There *was* a 5.7L GM diesel that was based on the Oldsmobile 350 back in the late 70's and early 80's.

The 6.2/6.5 diesel gets mileage same as PS and CTD. But fuel-injected small block Chevys don't get terrible mileage if you're not towing heavy, so seriously think about whether the mileage difference is worth it.

Test drive the GM diesel - you might find that your small block feels just as powerful, depending on the truck/setup.

If you're looking for an "upgrade" over what you have already, I'd be looking at a CTD or PS.

8. rattlecanpaint

Well, there ya go! Don't Know too much about diesels but a bit I guess.

9. Seeing Red Again

Seeing Red Again Well-Known Member

Based on what you have said, I'd say stick to what you got. I'd drive the 305 till gave out then drop a 350/nv4500 combo in it's place someday on down the road.

hmmmm, a 383 stroker would be nice too.....
    :beer:

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

That truck in the picture is not a diesel unless some converted it. The front bumper should have holes in for the inter cooler in take.

11. thecarman

thecarman Well-Known Member

I think I see holes in the front bumper on both trucks?

I wasn't aware of that though - thanks for the tip - didn't know that was a 6.5L turbo thing.