SM465 - How to remove shifter roll pins?

thecarman

I pulled the SM465 out of my rollback last night and it was a pain to do with the long-a$$ shifter still attached. I was only able to pull out one of the roll pins that hold the shifter in place. The other one is pushed in a little too far for me to grab it with anything.

I need to remove the shifter before I re-install the trans. There is no way I am going to be able to get the trans back up in there with the shifter on it (I don't have the truck on my lift, so space is limited underneath). I want to take out the shifter anyway to see if it needs to be re-welded to the ball and to see if the roll pin slots are sloppy. :driver:

How do I get that roll pin out?

Thanks!
Richard

Thanks Lee - that is some good info! I'll definitely use it for the rest of the trans, but the instructions start where the shifter has already been removed, so it didn't tell me how to remove that pin. :)

are you trying to remove the shifter by the roll pins? I would take the shifter completely out out the trans first...

Push down on the ball joint at the bottom of the shifter and rotate it, can't remember which direction.
Once you rotate 1/2 round, I think, maybe 1/4, it pops right out.

Took me a while to figure it out myself.

Thanks guys - will try to push down on it and turn it tonite!

The Beast said:
Push down on the ball joint at the bottom of the shifter and rotate it, can't remember which direction.

Counter clockwise, if I remember right.

Its very easy, but you probably wont be able to do it by hand.

Take a drift and tap the corner of the ractangluar hole where the shifter comes through the balljoint cap. Downward and counter clockwise (it has to move down towards the ground and counter clockwise).

It only has to move about a quarter of an inch, then itll pop out

make sure the trans is in neutral when you do it!! otherwise its a pain to get the shifter back in.

Got it out last night with no prob! Hit it like Grant described using a 3-lb sledge lightly tapping a 2x4 - aimed the the corner of a 2x4 as Grant described. It popped right out. Wish I had known that trick earlier - it would have made it so much easier to pull the trans! :D

Thanks all!!!

If the trans ever seems to get "jammed" and move in reverse when you think it should be in neutral, which happens sometimes with these, pop the top off again and the furthest shift rail to the left (looking down from the cab) is probably stuck forward. run it back a notch so it lines up with the other shift rails while everything is in neutral.

You can have the trans stuck in reverse, and actually put it in second gear at that point, which doesnt help for moving in any direction. You should have seen how pissed i was after installing my Novak main shaft and having the trans not move. It was in two gears.

Back