Smoked trout

Loganwayne

#BTL
b0a4a9c4ae8dd147351aa86fbb6b6ed1.jpg

It’s not bad, but have some improvements to make. Think I left it in the brine to long, didn’t allow it to tack up before putting it in the smoker, and probably should have left the trout whole. This is the first 4 small fillets that smoked faster than the rest. Rest should be coming off about 12:30-1 am this morning. So about a 7 hr smoke on the bigger ones

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been wanting to try this for a while but haven’t had the chance to go catch anything. What all was in your brine?

Been wanting to try this for a while but haven’t had the chance to go catch anything. What all was in your brine?

It was a dry brine since most of the fish were previously frozen, they said it doesn’t allow the fish to take on to much moisture. It was 4 parts brown sugar to 1 part kosher salt. I left it in the brine to long I think and probably could cut a little bit more salt out. I’m also probably going to smoke the fish whole next time to see if they don’t dry out as bad. MOST of these fish were 1.5 lbs or larger and i think they would do better whole. I think 3 lbs or bigger would do well filleted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive smoked salmon with success dry brine, 2hrs in fridge. Meat is a little different than trout, always rinse it off under cold water and blot dry before putting on the smoker.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Personally, I always use a brine for trout. Try whole - smaller fish that has a lower fat content than salmon, which can cause it to dry out.
I just put them in the fridge, in bowl of water with mix of salt, brown sugar, soy sauce, allspice, ginger and pepper flakes. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours - no more. Then I smoke them up.

SMOKED??? Sounds just like today's Gunsmoke show I watched. Opened with Festus entering the Marshall's office, with Fish he caught. Dillion & Doc were there, as Festus told them he was a going a Broil them. "Broil them?", O Doc was having a hissy fit!:lol:

Back