So I need advice a F-250 or CUMMINS!!!???

Stay away from 6.0 fords. I went through 3 sets of head gaskets and warped a set of heads on my old truck. If you want a reliable 6.0 then get ARP studs for the heads and...wait for it....KEEP IT STOCK.

I have an 05' cummins now and couldnt be happier.

I have an 01 Cummins and it pulls great in stock form...leave the chips alone.

I just think it is funny you (flameredtj) bought a cummins because you were impressed by your dad's Hemi... Apples to Oranges

I meant the dodge part of it. Regardless of engine/tranny. Nothings falling off of his so I figured the 3rd gens were a pretty safe bet for reliability. Seeing as the 2nd gens don't have that reputation.

That said I like the hemi, but I like the better torque, milage, and reliability of a diesel. I mean, the recommended overhaul date for the 5.9 is 350k miles.

His old hemi will be perfect for my jeep, but I still want a 4BT badly.:bounce2:

Get a smarty jr for the cummins and put it on economy and it will get better milage, the POD should also help as well, bump the HP down for DD. And it won't show up in the computer if you have to take it in. I really need to finish the jeep to take the around town miles off the truck, oh well.

Get a smarty jr for the cummins and put it on economy and it will get better milage, the POD should also help as well, bump the HP down for DD. And it won't show up in the computer if you have to take it in.

Care to wager on that?

Sorry I havent gotten back to my topic in a few days guys we have been getting attacked and worked hard here in bagram but I do want to say thanks for all the advice and info I will keep this in mind no doubt!

thanks for your service...

Yes! Thanks a whole bunch for your service.

dodge vs ford

go w/ the 7.3 ford good mpg and good power, + they are nice looking tough trucks that you can find parts for all day.

Which part? I don't have one but have friends that do.

Sorry

And it won't show up in the computer if you have to take it in.

And to expand, even if I cant tell the S/N of the programmer plugged in (which would be a first) you can still see the ECM program and refresh date...So in other words if you have a 2006 truck with an ECM date of 2009...I am going to be suspicious as hell.

And total control hours better match that program date or you have a tamper flag.

Now I will admit, I am not big into the diesel hop up scene, so I dont know the different manufacturers claims etc. I just know I see disappointed people weekly, literally weekly, with the same I have never put any chips on this truck defense.

The only thing I am aware of that was ever "undetectable" was the signal conversion boxes, basically these designs take thee input from the various sensors and then modify the output back into the ECM without ever re programming the ECM, making it think it is seeing something it is not...sounds great, until...

In a real world feed back you do not get steady clean feedback it is pulsing and varied...a trained eye can very quickly see the difference between pure feedback and manipulated curves.

Also the newest models log total circuit impedance....

This if off the smarty jr site.

"All SMARTY products are not traceable in the stock setting. Smarty leaves no footprint. No trace is left in the ECM! I herby CLAIM that SmartyCR is the FIRST AND ONLY downloader that does not erase any of the stored data in the ECM. Smarty does NOT leave any electronic footprints in the ECM or any other electronic module in the truck. Smarty does NOT set ANY codes once the ECM is set back to stock. Smarty does NOT need to have fuses pulled."

I thought it offered a guarantee but I'm not sure. Nor have I heard personally from anyone getting service that had one on it. But I am aware of the ECM getting reset to the current date and that is pretty obvious what is going on. I'm not sure what you referring to by the total control hours and date of the truck. I'm sure they'd never tell you what one they had but I'd like to know if you ever knew of one with a smarty jr in it getting denied service. I'm not into the hop up scene either but I can get a few more mpg and cooler egts from timing and basic controls then its worth it to me. Alot easier than doing a cam.

I had a F250 88 7.3 manual. Added a Banks Turbo which really made a difference towing and did not effect milage. Got about 15 to 17 solo, highway or in town, 11 to 12 towing a 5th wheel camper. Traded at 286,000 for 06 6.0 F250 supercab longbed auto. Did a lot of research on the engine issues and found by 05 they were pretty much trouble free. Have 47,000 trouble free miles. About 15 mpg solo, tow a TJ on an 18 foot trailer at 11 to 12 mpg, add a slide in camper get about 10. That is at legal plus speeds. Power is great, runs circles arounf the 7.3 with Banks.
No personnal knowledge on the Cummins but people I know seem to be happy with theirs. I also believe the Cummins takes aftermarket high power tuning better than the Ford but unless you are REALLY going to work it I don not see the need.

gasser

Since I drive my truck 100+ miles a day and tow my jeep maybe twice a month I decided to go with gas. I bought a 2009 Tundra because my brother has a 2007 and it allways made me hate my 2006 Hemi. You could get a nice 2007 with the 5.7 and towing package for around 20k. We have pulled our rig everywhere from harlen to uwharrie and the Tundra pulls it great. The rig weighs appox. 10klbs and we average about 10mpg. On the last trip unloaded to ten. and back the tundra avg. 18mpg over 1200 miles. It may not be a diesel but I promise it rides better and is a blast to drive.

U really ought to try a duramax. bought mine in january and forgot what a gas tow rig feels like real quick. 04 CC SB 4x4 with 285 bfg a/t, bully dog power pup stacked with Edge (both set on Economy/mileage)and 4'' duals. Last trip to troy got 17.2 pullin 16ft trailer with ex-cab toyota on it. usually gets around 22-23 mpg around home, but i only run whatever the speed limit is(cause tickets just cost to dang much) it actually gets better mileage than my DD toyota but its not as easily manuverable or as dirty, so it stays in the garage most of the time.

U really ought to try a duramax. bought mine in january and forgot what a gas tow rig feels like real quick. 04 CC SB 4x4 with 285 bfg a/t, bully dog power pup stacked with Edge (both set on Economy/mileage)and 4'' duals. Last trip to troy got 17.2 pullin 16ft trailer with ex-cab toyota on it. usually gets around 22-23 mpg around home, but i only run whatever the speed limit is(cause tickets just cost to dang much) it actually gets better mileage than my DD toyota but its not as easily manuverable or as dirty, so it stays in the garage most of the time.

Duramax gets my vote also. I have an 03 and could'nt be happier with it.

im not biased when it comes to Ford/Chevy/Dodge etc. they all have made good and bad vehicles. but when it comes to diesels, i'll only choose a cummins. dont get me wrong, i like the duramax, but the IFS doesn't get my vote. i also like the 7.3 PS, but i wanted something i could mod fairly easy to 450+HP. i dont like the 6.0L PS, do some google searching and find out why.

PS. the cummins is rated as medium duty, the other two are rated light duty.

BTW, if you are leaving it stock you can't go wrong with any of them..........except the 6.0L PS :)

Not gonna get on a Ford, Chevy, Dodge rant. All are nice rigs and all of us have different taste, this is my experience with the rig I had. I bought a 02 F-350 dually with 40k miles on it in 04. Of course it had the 7.3 and was a fully loaded 4wd. Going from owning chevy gassers to a Ford was a first for me, but the straight front axle and manual hubs is what sold me on it. I hated changing bushings and cv axles on my old chevy 3/4 ton. I kept the truck for 4 years and towed alot with it. Left if stock and had no probs. By no means was it a hot rod on the bottom end but from 40mph on it would roll on pretty good to be a big truck, loaded or unloaded. The only time it had to go back was for a leaky oil filter relocator gasket. Then right before I sold it Ford sent a letter to come get the cam position sensor changed under warranty. The most weight I ever towed with it was around 17,900 lbs. and it pulled with no prob. on flat roads. Hate I ever sold the truck, but that's when fuel was $3.80 a gallon. Just remember every company makes a lemmon, just hope you're not the one that ends up with it. Good luck on whatever you choose.:driver:

Back