So... nobody has been able to bust a D60 Lunchbox Locker?

ncjeepers

I find that hard to believe... as many as I've seen sprung in the smaller rears.
But I'm asking with an open mind as I need to lock my front end soon. I was planning to throw a Detroit in there but it's already set up with gears I can use so if I can get by easier and cheaper then I'm all for that.
Is one brand any better than the rest?
Does anyone around here have one on hand for about $300 or less?

lock rite. i had one in my old jeep with 350, granny gear, atlas 4.3, 42's. never had a problem. seen too many detroits break, i wouldnt even consider one.

bigwoody runs the same, lock-rite, and i dont think he has ever broken it, and that speaks for itself.

The lock right wears out and will start slipping, but doesn't usually break from shock loads like a detroit will. I just took out my welded detroit and put a lockright in.

No problems here either after 3 years. 'Course I'm not known to "bigwoody it" very much :) I figured I could put 2 LocRites in for the price of a Detroit and I'm still on my first. Like you said, I did have a problem with one in a D35 years ago but not in the 60, so far........

I busted the pins in a d-35 model 3 times. Usually after a axle shaft snapped, the locker pins would shear. Easy to fix and no other locker damage.

LockRite all the way I didnt have one in a 60. but i ran on in a DD with a 35 and 30 for years. they worked perfectly.

Lock Right it is then. I think CPerry is gonna hook me up.

I'm suprised to hear about the Detroit problems. I've been running them hard in the D44's in my CJ for at least 15 years... 360/T-18/2.5:1 D20/4.56/36"SX's and that Jeep is no lightweight either. Maybe they made them better back then.

I've put in over 100 lock rites, never had to warrenty one.
I've broken 5 detroits, will never buy anohter one. The lock rite in my 401 CJ Dana 44 rear is 10 years old with a few driveshafts to it name but no locker failures.

I broke 3 teeth off of both halves on my 60 lockrite. Alot of people have good luck w/ them though.

18months and then they start to slip...warrenty is for 2 years. I carry a spare, nice thing about them is on my hp60 I can swap a new one in by just pulling the cover, no need to remove the shafts or anything else, a 45 minute fix on the trailer fix.

Back