solved! best solution for NV4500 clutch release bearing

Chuckman

so if you don't know me, Im 100% hard on my shit. If it breaks, I upgrade and go on about life. I hate replacing stuff over and over wondering why it keeps breaking. so after installing my NV4500 behind my 6.0 I was completely happy until the shitty stock slave cylinder blew its seal just 300 miles in. so after going around and around with the asshats over at Advance Adapters and a total of close to $1200 to put in an external slave, I thought there had to be a better way to put in an uber reliable throwout bearing and not cost that much. BTW, AA really has no idea what they are doing regarding the late model LS engine, its truly remarkable. They can set you up with parts if you do the research yourself but if you call them, they are all like uhhhhhhhhh. no way Im supporting that. anyway, I found Ram Clutches out of SC. Guess what? they make a rebuildable billet internal throwout bearing for chevy transmissions that isn't cheap but its TOTALLY badass. sold through summit, you've got the last throwout bearing youll ever need, if in the wild chance that it fails, they already sent you new wiper seals and orings for the first rebuild. their unit for the T56 bolts right up to a chevy NV4500 and matches 100% correct to the displacement of a CJ iron duke hydraulic master cylinder. no mods necessary and is smooth like warm butter and as easy to install as it is making fun of Fuller. very, very happy. No heat or clearance issues with an external slave, and its not plastic. get ya some -3 AN fittings and you have a bullet proof setup. cast iron master, braided stainless hoses, and billet aluminum internal slave based on factory design. what more could you want? the end.

update, heres what AA wants you to buy- BUT - and heres the bad part. they didn't mention I needed the flywheel kit until I had bought the other stuff, installed it and wouldn't work. = very pissed.

$350 bellhousing adapter early chevy v8 to NV4500
$75 external slave cyl mount
$50 external slave from NAPA
$30 hoses
$650 kit from them that makes up the 0.4" difference in crank length, with a new flywheel and proprietary clutch/pressure plate
+ shipping / tax

what bullshit

badass Ram clutch throwout = $300

Link?

If you're trying to make up the .400 difference, they make 2 different flywheels. Not sure if that was part of your original issue or not.

Oh...and the bellhousings are the same pattern. They just moved one bolt.

If you're trying to make up the .400 difference, they make 2 different flywheels. Not sure if that was part of your original issue or not.

Oh...and the bellhousings are the same pattern. They just moved one bolt.

what years are which? who is they? AA or factory?
trying to get enough info to post on Pirate

If those don't work, Tilton and McLeod make some really nice units as well (roughly twice as much $$ as Ram or Howe probably).

this one is hella nice. could've reverse engineered it then made it here, but meh- plus these guys are local

Is it for an LS motor? The original 4.8 that was in my Silverado was a long crank motor so it had the "thin" flywheel, they run around 130 bucks. The 6.0 I swapped in is a short crank motor. NFW-1050 is the part number for that flywheel. 55-60 bucks. In my case, I was using the NV3500 that came in my truck, but they're the same as far as input shaft length and pilot diameter is concerned.

Long cranks used a small, needle bearing for a pilot. The short cranks got a larger, sealed, roller bearing since the input shaft wasn't as close to the crankshaft.

99-02 GM 4.8s and 6.0s were long cranks.

@Chuckman

I have a gm nv4500 that I'm trying to upgrade the hydraulic release bearing. Do you have a part number for the Ram kit that you used.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

Back