Someone tag the transmission guy for me please

GubNi

8 lug disc brakes?
I recently bought a 2003 Ford Ranger 3.0 automatic. It has 137,000 miles and I don't think the transmission fluid has ever been changed. I plan to change fluid and filter, but there is a small problem. When I shift from reverse to drive if I don't wait a few seconds it will slip and then catch really hard. As long as I wait the transmission shifts perfectly with no problems. My thought is a solenoid in the valve body. If so I'd like to fix this at the same time. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it?

@transman731 but he hasn’t been on here in nearly 6 years.

Sounds like it’s just air in the system and it either smoothly and softly builds pressure, or quickly slams pressure in there. Some type of accumulator or check valve isn’t doing its job.

@transman731 but he hasn’t been on here in nearly 6 years.

Sounds like it’s just air in the system and it either smoothly and softly builds pressure, or quickly slams pressure in there. Some type of accumulator or check valve isn’t doing its job.
Would you suggest a new valve body or just live with it?

Would you suggest a new valve body or just live with it?
I don’t know shit about transmissions, but sounds like a cheap 20 year old truck, so I wouldn’t put any extra money into it.

I recently bought a 2003 Ford Ranger 3.0 automatic. It has 137,000 miles and I don't think the transmission fluid has ever been changed. I plan to change fluid and filter, but there is a small problem. When I shift from reverse to drive if I don't wait a few seconds it will slip and then catch really hard. As long as I wait the transmission shifts perfectly with no problems. My thought is a solenoid in the valve body. If so I'd like to fix this at the same time. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it?
Is it a 5-speed (5R55)? Does it ever feel like it slips or is late on upshifts?

Back