Spam call filtering debacle

Jody Treadway

Croc wearing fool
I'll try to explain what is happening.
My cell phone has the landlines of our offices forwarded to it, as well as my actual cell number. I get a ton of calls a day. I have it set up like this as I am at my desk, in the warehouse, in the yard, etc all day long.

What's going on:
For months now, phone rings and it's a suspected spam call (screen goes red as flagged by Verizon), rings 1-2 times and hangs itself up. No notifications or anything as the call was completed, but "they" hung up. At the same time, I received a call from someone who is a contact (let's say @jeepinmatt). So I never see Matt called, just the spam call. As a result, I don't Matt called until I check my call history or possibly even my voice mail. It appears to the caller I did not accept their call (doesn't ring on their end). This happens 2-3 times a day and is always predicated by a spam call.

Make sense?

Verizon is of no help. Any of y'all experienced this as well?

My cell phone has the landlines of our offices forwarded to it, as well as my actual cell number. I get a ton of calls a day. I have it set up like this as I am at my desk, in the warehouse, in the yard, etc all day long.

What's going on:
For months now, phone rings and it's a suspected spam call (screen goes red as flagged by Verizon), rings 1-2 times and hangs itself up. No notifications or anything as the call was completed, but "they" hung up. At the same time, I received a call from someone who is a contact (let's say @jeepinmatt). So I never see Matt called, just the spam call. As a result, I don't Matt called until I check my call history or possibly even my voice mail. It appears to the caller I did not accept their call (doesn't ring on their end). This happens 2-3 times a day and is always predicated by a spam call.

Make sense?

We implemented a new system to our work phones which are also forwarded to cells. But its answers as a prompt to press 1 for service or 2 for whoever. Has absolutely killed the spam calls. And a lot of sales calls too. I will get the information if you want it

What's going on:

Make sense?

I've had a similar thing happen, except the opposite. No one ever calls me, so when a spammer calls, I answer. The Nigerian prince I spoke to from Wells Fargo the other day was very nice and helped me get back into my bank account so he could deposit the funds he was looking to offload. He said noone else would take him seriously. 🤷‍♂️

We implemented a new system to our work phones which are also forwarded to cells. But its answers as a prompt to press 1 for service or 2 for whoever. Has absolutely killed the spam calls. And a lot of sales calls too. I will get the information if you want it
We use AT&T Office@Hand which is basically rebranded RingCentral. I set it all up with a similar call tree and the spam calls are down 99%. We used to have at least 10 a day, and now its maybe 1 or 2 week, and those are real people who are just cold calling, and they typically get the "Oh, yeah, that's handled from our main office in Germany. You'll have to reach out to them for that."

And thank goodness they are down, because I'm in the call group for sales, service, accounting, and shipping, so every call pops up on my cell unless someone is calling one of my employees directly at their extension.

I had to laugh at the ad on this thread, and especially the website listed at the bottom of the ad.
IMG_8073.png

I'll take that information

We use AT&T Office@Hand which is basically rebranded RingCentral. I set it all up with a similar call tree and the spam calls are down 99%. We used to have at least 10 a day, and now its maybe 1 or 2 week, and those are real people who are just cold calling, and they typically get the "Oh, yeah, that's handled from our main office in Germany. You'll have to reach out to them for that."

And thank goodness they are down, because I'm in the call group for sales, service, accounting, and shipping, so every call pops up on my cell unless someone is calling one of my employees directly at their extension.
That’s the system we implemented as well

Ive used ringcentral, star2star, kall8, and many others over the years for various endeavors. I presume you have a "find me" feature turned on. So that if someone calls your desk, it will try to find you at the shop, at the yard phone, or cell phone. What i have found in the past with a similar issue was that when i forced multiple extensions to ring my cell phone, and those etensions all received the outside call, it created a weird as "loop" if you will and caused all kinds of screwy things on the phone.

VOIP converting to phone just comes with hinky shit. As soon as i fixed one thing, another spooky thing would pop up 6 months later. Two fixes have worked for me over the years on a permanent basis.

I now use the phone system APP on my phone. I do *not* forward to my number. My app takes the call, similar in that google voice will, this makes it easier to be on my cell phone and still have power to transfer them, etc.
A second solution that worked was getting a second sim card (off brand) for pennies, and adding that to my phone as a second sim. This allowed for the forwarded call to go to a separate number from my "main" number

Essentially the only solutions that have ever stuck were things i did that created a "separation" of the two systems

Back