Speaking of bypasses...

dr_freeze

Resident of Planet Earth
On Saturday, both times I got almost to the top of Dutch John, I met traffic. The first time it was just one Jeep and he backed up and gave me room to go past. Gave me a wave as I went by. The second time, I had just come around the right turn near the top of the trail and I met a TJ and a Cherokee making their way down. I sure didn't want to back down the trail so I kept going. I got within 20 feet of them before they started backing up. There is very little room at the top to pass and it took a little maneuvering on a three of our parts and as I drove by, I could tell it irritated them a bit.

I know there is no written rule and they are all two way trails, but what would be the common protocol in this situation. Was I in the wrong for continuing up the hill? I didn't relish the thought of backing all the way down to the wide spot at the bottom, but it did create a little bit of a cluster at the top.

Any thoughts?

Guess that's why Gulches chose one way trails to avoid passing on steep hills and going off trail

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I like that Uwharrie is two-way. Trails are rarely the same going down as up. However, and this may just be my luck, I always seem to have this trouble on Dutch John. I wish there was a little more of a drive around at the top.

From the TL link Joe posted for those lazy ones: "Yield the right of way to those passing you traveling uphill. Yield to mountain bikers, hikers and horses."

I was out there the other weekend for the workday and was pulling my trailer , and luckily everyone seen it back there and pulled off for me. I was very glad for that. Granted it was full of straw bales most of the time so I assume they seen I was out there working.

Back