spring over conversion

madJeepJ10

is a spring over conversion is that where u take the front leaf springs and put then on top of the axle and if so what all do i need to do to do that.

yep...
a welder a grinder and some time
maybe new u bolts and nuts

crossover or full highsteer drvieshaft spring perches
lot more to it on a j10 than just flipping springs. forgot exhaust unless you dont have the factory y pipe
do a web search there is a faq page just for soa on fsj

About 7" of lift on the front...custom springs or a shackle flip will be needed on the rear to level it out.
One plus to a SOA is you keep the factory springs and there ride quality over stiff lift springs

I did the S(pring) O(ver) A(xle) on my 86 grand wag and it would be the same for your J truck. I bought a SOA kit from BJs offroad that included 5 u bolts and some perches and a spacer. You have to grind a little on the front diff housing to make the u bolt fit and to get the perch right and have the perches welded on. Some applications take certain perches, spacers, and U bolts.

I ended up doing full high steer, but others have gotten away with crossover steering and some others have even done just a dropped pitman arm.

Full high steer is where you move your draglink and tie rod(and ends) up above the axle. This helps with steering geometry and gets everything out of the way.

do i need to do anything to the driveshafts or are they long enough. thank you for all your help.

SOA = Normally move front and rear springs on top of the axle. Normally about 5 1/2" of lift. Along with this comes
New spring pads
new ubolts
Longer shocks
extended brake lines
High steer set up
longer drivesafts
rear anti-wrap bar

then comes

Larger tires and wheel to fill in the huge viod created

then comes

Broken axles
broken joints
broken shafts

then comes

larger axles
even larger tires

then comes

Larger engine because of those big tires

then comes

cromo shafts because of the larger engine and those big tires

then comes

4 link suspension because now everyting stays together and I don't have a wheel travel with the SOA because of the big tires.

Just go the cheap way and 4 link it from the start and you will be money ahead.

If you are not sure what a SOA is or does, 4 link might be a little too far out for you.

Again, SOA nets about 7" of lift. My front dshaft needed extending, but the rear dshaft didn't. Some have had to have the rear dshaft extended. I made drop brackets for my brakelines.

if u want to ride up the mountain ill give u a detailed instruction. i am about to start on another soa on a j10 in a couple weeks. this one i just used a drop pitman but the next is going to be high steer.
ai284.photobucket.com_albums_ll35_novacayne75_100_1314.jpg

has good travel on stock springs.
ai284.photobucket.com_albums_ll35_novacayne75_Photo0286.jpg

The biggest factory in how much lift you get from an SOA conversion is the diameter of the axle tube. You will will also gain the amount of offset your old SUA perches are welded to the axle tube, plus the height you add by welding SOA perches on top of the axle tube.

Ive never SOA a J10, but have done a coupe, of CJs

Have you gusy had axle wrap trouble on the J10s?
thats one thing I havent seen mentioned

thank you for all the info. i am not doing it right now but when i do do it this will all come in handy lol i need to get me a welder too.

Ive never SOA a J10, but have done a coupe, of CJs

Have you gusy had axle wrap trouble on the J10s?
thats one thing I havent seen mentioned
i have not but i build all my own perches and the pad is about 7" long to help support the springs from wraping.

Back