Standard 7 blade vs 7 blade RV

Keith1138

Since there wasn't a dedicated thread or mention of this any where I could find on this forum.

Today I wired up reverse lights on my 70ch big tex trailer. Ran my wire for the pods got an inline fuse just incase. Went to run the wire for the plug. There wasnt room or a wire for the center plug. I ran to northern tool grabbed the best looking 7 blade they had.

Turned out it was a rv style molded plug. This means the wire colors are different but it is a true 7 blade instead of 7 blade but only 6 wires.

Color conversion is this.

Trailer wire yellow --> plug wire red for left side brake turn signal

Trailer wire green --> plug wire brown for right side brake turn signal

Trailer wire brown --> plug wire green for tail/marker lights

*Trailer wire black--> plug wire blue electric brakes*

**Trailer wire blue reverse lights --> plug wire yellow**

Trailer wire red (constant hot) --> plug wire black

Trailer wire white (ground) --> plug wire white

*In my case the black wire on the trailer is the eletric brakes according to the battery box.*

**This depends if your trailer already has reverse lights or a wire for them. Mine had two random blue wires that were not connected to original plug. I had functioning brakes so I know these are not suppose to be brakes.**

I couldnt find anything that broke this down simply plus my trailer was weird and didnt match the normal brake controller wire.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this, Keith. Here's a graphic that might help, too:

faq043-trailer7waydia-ver2_2_800.jpg

If the new plug I got wouldnt have been molded it would have made everything alot easier because I would have been able to see where each wire connected.

To make it easier in the future I went ahead and labeled the spare section of wire and the spare plug i have now. So I know what each wire does and where it goes.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

When i wired my latest trailer I used multiple junction boxes like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Buyers-Products/3375601101.html

The one i used had the color at the base of the stud, along with what it was for (lights, brakes, rev, etc). I chose to use the RV color code, which didn't really match the box. I chose to use the designator on the stud vs the color. That way, if i need to troubleshoot in the future, i can open any of the boxes and see what color correlates with what wire.

When i wired my latest trailer I used multiple junction boxes like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Buyers-Products/3375601101.html

The one i used had the color at the base of the stud, along with what it was for (lights, brakes, rev, etc). I chose to use the RV color code, which didn't really match the box. I chose to use the designator on the stud vs the color. That way, if i need to troubleshoot in the future, i can open any of the boxes and see what color correlates with what wire.

These are great. I have them on a few trailers. You can use a meter or test light at the box to check circuits, and/or easily jumper power from the +12v to various light/brake circuits to troubleshoot.

Per @shawn recommendation, I used a similar block when I re-wired the trailer in 2017. Aside from the new dog chewing the wiring to one of my backup lights, ZERO issues... which was exactly what i was looking for.

I was going to do a block but I couldnt find one local at the time that I liked. Amazon was going to take until may 5th. When I rewire the trailer I'm going to put a sealed block in.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Side note, How are you guys that are wiring your own trailers protecting the wiring underneath? Some kind of loom or what?

I have to rewire and redeck my equipment trailer soon and looking for options.

Nah, big brothers not watching.

Screenshot_20200415-191951_Chrome.jpg

Side note, How are you guys that are wiring your own trailers protecting the wiring underneath? Some kind of loom or what?

I have to rewire and redeck my equipment trailer soon and looking for options.

I put a junction box at the front, rear, and over the axles. Ran a 7wire cable between them. Something like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Deka/DW04914-1.html. When i needed to run a single wire or just a few, i placed it in mesh to help protect it, mostly because i had it on hand. Making sure it is secured up and out of the way if the biggest thing, IMO. I have seen some run EMT down the frame to feed wires, but EMT isnt very "repairable" to me.

Also seen where people take 4” pieces of 3/4”-1” tube and weld inside the frame rails as places to “fish” wire through. As long as it is bundled and won’t chafe in the wind it should be good unless you’re busting brush with your trailer then probably something like emt or even pvc would be a better option to protect the wiring. At the frame by the brakes on my stock trailer I used all weather junction boxes.

Back