Starter truck for 11yr old

RenegadeT

no shirt,no shoes,no dice
My son is interested in an RC car, so with his birthday coming up, he'll probably end up with this
Stampede: 1/10 Scale Monster Truck with TQ 2.4GHz radio system | Traxxas
This will be his first real toy, had a few Wallyworld cars before this. Is there anything else to consider? I haven't looked at anything RC in over 20 years when Tamiya and Losi were the hot items. He'll just need something that works well on pavement and off-road, lawn and woods. I don't think 4wd is needed, and definitely want to stick with electric. I've read that other than the kit, which differs from my tamiya lots of assembly required, should be ready to race out of the box. Looks like a wall charger will be a good idea too.
Should I be looking at anything different?

What does he want? Something that goes fast or a crawler of sorts? If it's go fast you really can't go wrong traxxas. Fit the crawler sorts I'd go with a rtr scx10 2 from axial. Just know that with the go fast stuff, shit breaks a lot. A crawler is here and there usually.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

^what he said. friend of mine has a traxxas that is fast as f*** but is always broke. same friend has a scx10 crawler that has yet to break anything except the body

My neighbor who has 9 year old boys bought two ECX Amp 1:10 monster trucks. They seem to be a great little truck for the money (~$130.00) and they are not super fast which means less broken parts. I have some very high end RC cars and I found myself having just as much fun with these cheap ECX cars. Another great go fast option is the Traxxas Slash of course. Super durable and plenty of spare parts at any hobby store. If your looking at a crawler the Axial SCX10 deadbolt is a great entry crawler that is very dependable.

Thanks for the replies, I'll do a little more research on these non traxxas ones. Pretty sure he'd be happier with a "go fast" one as opposed to a crawler, but it doesn't have to be crazy fast. I read the traxxas controller has a training mode that is only 50% power....maybe that would be the ticket to prevent breakage.

I do remember frequent visits as a teen to my local hobby store. Breakage, its all fun and games til you have to bust open the wallet.

Thanks for the replies, I'll do a little more research on these non traxxas ones. Pretty sure he'd be happier with a "go fast" one as opposed to a crawler, but it doesn't have to be crazy fast. I read the traxxas controller has a training mode that is only 50% power....maybe that would be the ticket to prevent breakage.

I do remember frequent visits as a teen to my local hobby store. Breakage, its all fun and games til you have to bust open the wallet.
If he wants a go fast I'd defiantly go traxxas. They are the name in go fast. They have some 1/16 scale trophy truck as well as 1/10 scale that would prob be your best bet.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Get him a axial wraith or ax-10 deadbolt. They are fast rock racers. And can crawl like crazy.

Back