Starting a new project

Down&Dirty

Alright this will be some tech lots of discussion so here we go.

I am getting ready to start a new krawler project. I am looking to run a propane powered 4 cyl, auto tranny and a D300 case. Will be a very short wheelbase so I am looking for light, stout, and short. Problem is that I don't know what models work well, what is crap, and what can bolt up, or use existing adaptors. I know I am missing a lot of model info, but I can and have rebuilt everything from motors to trannies before so I can handle the work. What are some good solid years and models to shot for? I really want the auto and twin stick. In the mean time I will continue with my endless search button abuse, and see what I can find.

propane 22r, turbo 400 (i think you can make this work since guys are running them in supras), atlas 2 or dana 300... what kind of weight are you shooting for? how much sheet metal do you want to keep? what wheel base are you shooting for? you could do a toy cab truck, 4 link rear, bring the wheelbase down to around ~95 inches (stock is 103 on a reg cab), above listed drive train, and yota axles... keep it light, build the front axle as much as your wallet allows and have at it....

ps... sorry if that makes no sense, i was just rattling off some mental diarrhea.... its crossed my mind a few times :D

That is cool. I already have the project vehicle. Not sure on the wheelbase. I have to hack a bunch of stuff out and see what the frame will allow. I know I can mod it and make it do whatever I want, but the purpose is not to build the ultimate krawler. I want to build a great trail machine while keeping the original integrety of the vehicles design. I am hoping to get the wheelbase streched out to around 95-96 inches. Shoting for a 35 inch tire with 44's front and rear. I have most of the pane parts and will be getting the final parts soon as well as some spares and hydralic stuff too. I figure I have a couple months of just body work and rust repair. Not to mention boxing in the frame or building a new one, and then I will starting fitting drivetrain to it. I would am just trying to get an idea of what powertrain to run so I can start looking for deals.

I agree, the TH400 will waste some of your power and unless you build the engine with higher compression to regain the power lost to propane; this things wont be able to turn 31's. without 5:1 axle ratio.

I kinda laughed when i saw 22R and TH400.. damn! Th350 would be fine... A 200r4 has a decent 2.74 first gear compared to the Th350's 2.52 first, but the 700R4 (What I'm running) has a 3.06.

But with a wheelbase as short as yours, you may run into length issues with a 700R.

BTW, you didn't mention the frame you're running.. but if you're trying to STRETCH it to 95 and running a 4-popper, my guess is a Sammy. In that case, you could look into some of the sammy t-cases.

Depending on what rig it's going in, Toy axles might work better, width-wise.

More along the lines of a vary early Cj frame. I have yet to pick it up since I had a trail ride last weekend. But I imagine a 51 Cj will be a shorty. Are there other 4cyl out there. My initial thought was a mid 80's YJ 4cyl. maybe with a matching auto. Then use an adapter to hook up the D300. Then run 44's with some 5.13's. This will never see the street, trail use only. Probably going to put in the 4:1 in the 300 if I can foot the bill. I was thinking waggie 44's so that I can get a wider stance and some stability. I also wouldn't have to worry so much about back spacing.

Why not save yourself a lot of trouble an use a yj frame, you are waisting a lot of time an money looking at a pre 76 cj chassis. Why propane, you are killing your build before you even start, you are taken a 4cyl. that is weak to start with an then killing it even more, i'm at a loss.

very short = 96" ? light with all the parts your suggesting ? whats your end goal? and how much do you want to spend? most 4cyls will struggle trying to turn 44s..

It sounds like you have some parts laying around and want to use them. But maybe you need to get a plan together and see what you have that fits that. You might be ahead selling/trading for what you want to end up with..

really short is a zuke at 80" WB light is a 1.3 zuke engine at 125#

I 2nd the YJ frame, in fact id get a 2.5L/Ax5 combo. The stock TBI/EFI is pretty much stand alone and they you can make use of cheep XJ/YJ/TJ parts that are around.. (even your D300)

Get a YJ 4cyl with fuel injection, move the motor forward for crawl box and get silly low axle gearing. But I wouldn't run over 38s. With a light vehicle you're going to tip-toe over obstacles anyway. Just try not to weight it down with unnecessary bumpers and rock sliders etc. SOA the front and 4 link the rear and hack the body up to clear the tires. Or forget the crawl box and stick a truck manual in with the 6:1 1st gear.

Guys.. DANA 44's, not 44" TSL's.. ;)

Thanks rich. yes it is dana 44's. I already have a pretty capable tj. It like all rigs could use more and more money and parts to make it better, but I want to build something from the ground up. I am not saying I will use any existing frame. To be honest, I don't see why a yj frame would really save me any time or effort. I will be cutting off all suspension mounts, transfer case mounts, and building a complete custom. Basically my end goal is an old CJ (willys style) that is a propane powered trail runner. So a 40's-50's willys with propane, auto, twin stick, dana 44's, running 35 inch tires. Arbs front and rear with 5.13 or larger gears. (5.13s is about all I think you can really run in a 44) Sure I could build off a YJ frame, put in a 350, leaf rears and link the front, but how many times have you seen that done? The goal here is a different trail rig that no one else is riding. I think that the 4cyl with some tuning on pane can do what I am looking for. I don't want to have to lengthen the engine compartment to fit anything bigger. Plus more horsepower = bigger parts = more money. So far I have not seen anything a 35 inch tire can't handle. Sure bigger tires make it easier and will allow a more difficult line, but with a short wheelbase it won't make a big difference to me. Plus 70% of the fun is building, 10 % riding and 20% breaking.

The point we are trying to make with the chassis is, you dont build a serious rig with c- channel frame, plus you will be using 60 year old stressed rails, if you have not been welding for a while you shouldnt be welding on chassis period. An i know you said you was going to do the boxing , but man thats crazy trying to box thin worn out rails. we are not shooting you the breeze we are trying to give you a safe an reliable alternative, if you was going for resto an light trail use i would say go for it, but on the contrary.

FYI.....I know where there is an early 70's CJ5 rollong chasis(no motor, trans or tansfer case for $200 if you need a chasis. It is here in Myrtle Beach.(its not mine, I just found it looking around.

John

Back