Steering Links for a CJ

orange150

Long story short, I'm on the hunt for some new links for my steering. I'm thinking about going with the Barnes kit, only hard part for me is that I need to find someone to cut and weld them in, not a deal breaker at all, just an added annoyance.
M.O.R.E. makes a bolt in kit, but it's heims only; I'm assuming heims are still considered an "off road use only" thing?
Anyone else I'm forgetting? Rusty's has one but it's out of stock.

Short story long, my steering has been hard to manage for a while, and I know I've done all the normal CJ "things" you're supposed to do to have "good" steering; proper caster angle, proper link angle, etc. A guy posted up on JeepForum that he's hunting down why his steering is so bad while also doing the "right" things. Turns out he has the same link kit I have from Rugged Ridge, with their proprietary TREs. He reinstalled his old links with new Moog joints and his steering was as good as new again. I did my best to cross reference the size of these Rugged Ridge TREs on Moogs website, but came up empty handed.

I'd drill a hole and use heims. If you want something a lil more street friendly, you could install tapered inserts so you can use toyota TRE or the classic GM 1 ton stuff.

All the parts are available from Ruffstuff or Trail Gear IIRC. they even have a kit with the tubing etc.

Or maybe you could call rugged Ridge and see if they'd sell you their TREs direct, that way you can just bolt them back on.

Is this for street use only?

If you're considering TREs for something that gets wheeled, you need to see what kind of travel they'll actually do. If you're considering heims, you need to think about how to capture the ball. You might also need to weld up the knuckle before drilling, depending on the current TRE and the expected through bolt diameter.

There's a whole separate discussion about whether it's Y, T, or crossover.

Parts Mike has some cool beefy stuff for cj's. Maybe he has something that would work for you with the threaded dom tube & TRE's. That way you dont have to weld anything. He has been around forever I bought all of my high steer parts from him. Good prices also!

dana 30

dana 44

:beer:

Last edited:
Is this for street use only?

If you're considering TREs for something that gets wheeled, you need to see what kind of travel they'll actually do. If you're considering heims, you need to think about how to capture the ball. You might also need to weld up the knuckle before drilling, depending on the current TRE and the expected through bolt diameter.

There's a whole separate discussion about whether it's Y, T, or crossover.
Mostly street. It’s an old CJ so cross over.
Parts Mike has some cool beefy stuff for cj's. Maybe he has something that would work for you with the threaded dom tube & TRE's. That way you dont have to weld anything. He has been around forever I bought all of my high steer parts from him. Good prices also!

dana 30

dana 44

:beer:
Man I didn’t even think about PartsMike and I was just talking about them the other day. I might call them and Barnes next week.

Back