stihl backpack blower not running right

RenegadeT

no shirt,no shoes,no dice
I've got a BR-380 that won't generate any RPMs. Its probably 5 years old, always use ethanol- free gas and the stihl synthetic mix oil, but never done any tuneup, etc. Last fall, it seemed like it was only getting up to 95% full speed, but I put it up and forgot about it. Now I fire it up and its pretty useless, full throttle seems like 10% and it wants to bog down. Anything easy I should look at before I bring it in?

Pour all your gas out and go buy new. I had some that had been in my shed about 6-8 months, and it works fine in my chainsaw. But I bought a new weedeater this spring and it wouldn't run above idle unless I put it on half-choke. Fresh gas fixed it right up.

On small engines, I've come to the conclusion that if it runs at all, then the ignition is likely good. Make 100% sure your gas is good, then start cleaning the carb.

Sounds like a stopped up main. Try moving the mixture screws around to loosen any build up and see what happens.

I know you said you used ethanol free, but gas in general is shit these days, if the can isn't sealed well you'll still draw moisture and condensation, which still effects non ethanol gas ( just not as quickly)

the oil mix helps keep it fresh longer, but again, an unsealed can... ( the old non safety cans aren't sealed well, but sure are nice to NOT have to deal with nanny safety features )

My fix for my Stihl FS56 string trimmer was to start using the "Tru Fuel" quart cans, it's more expensive ($5.99 @ TSC ) than mixing your own, but good golly does the trimmer run SO much better ALL the time. even sitting over the winter, 5 hits on the primer, full choke, it started and ran with no issues. its NEVER done that over a winter lay down with regular 50:1 mix gas.

same every time, runs well, smells awesome ( racing gas ) and I find I don't have to run the trimmer as hard as I used too, which uses less fuel, and string. so there is a positive trade off for the cost and I don't have to tear it down, and clean it every year, which makes it even more with the cost. I'm still using a can I bought last year, have 2 more waiting that I just bought last week and I expect that they'll last me all summer ( I've got 2 yards to mow currently so this may or may not be the case )

I used the Tru Fuel to start my Lawnboy that has been unused for the last 6-7 years, added a little more oil to it ( Lawnboy is 32:1) once the LB hit it ran very well. I doubt I'll run the LB on this though as it's only available in 40:1 and 50:1 mix. I did just mix 2 gal of no ethanol 91 with some LB oil I still had, so we'll see how that lasts over the summer. New safety can and all.

Pull your exhaust I have a hunch it's stopped up. They have a screen that cakes up with crap.. very common with the br380. They also have an external "spark arrestor" that you can do away with, they cake up with gunk as well
Bingo! I just pulled the arrestor, runs like a champ. Thanks Clayton!
IMG_20150503_174521_491.jpg

Were there any mud daubers in there?

some one on here mentioned a long time ago...

engines are just air pumps. they wont work if either end is clogged.

Back