Strap/chain attachments on trailer

BigClay

Knower of useless ZJ things
Well we have beat the strap vs chain thing to death, so how about now we talk about attachment points on your trailer.

Do you have D-rings? Do you use the rails?

Got any pictures of how you attach your straps or chains to your trailer?

Well we have beat the strap vs chain thing to death

:lol:

Do you have D-rings?

Nope, but have them ready to weld on (for the past 10? years and still haven't got it done :shaking: )

Do you use the rails?

Kinda... the front straps get hooked on the frame (channel) and the rear chain on a crossmember

Sorry Charlie! :beer:

:lol: thanks Dave!

Use the frame of the trailer for your CHAINS. Next time you see me Clay, we'll talk trailers and such. I've been hauling junk all my life. I learned a lot the hard way!

I use D rings one on each corner don't know what I'd do with out them

few pics and i know everyone doesnt like the x pattern at both ends but when i got pulled and weighed by Mr. DOT he said everything looked good tied the way i had it

ai263.photobucket.com_albums_ii148_cgm147_home3.jpg

ai263.photobucket.com_albums_ii148_cgm147_home5.jpg

ai263.photobucket.com_albums_ii148_cgm147_home2.jpg

I use d rings for everything. Straps and chains. It doesn't matter for the chains but if there is abrasion on the straps they'll wear.

D-Rings

I use d-rings, 4-front and 4-back. I have a macs ultra kit with axles straps to tie down at the axles and then suck down the suspension to my bump stops with 2" s-line wire hook ratchet straps straps to my trail rigs tow points (3/4" shackles rear & tow hooks front).
No crossing straps, I try to keep angles at a minimum for all points except my front axles tie-down, with all the brackets on this axle I only have one good spot for the axle strap; I come off this center location to the corners of the trailer.
Probably overkill, but I an extremely conservative with this setup and feel the rig is uber secure for anything that may happen on the way to the trail. :driver:

CGM147- That's a MEAN looking Yota, nice!!! That a Kaufman trailer? Looks exactly like my Kaufman!

I do the same as CGM147 (D-rings and straps) but, usually straight rather than crossed (though I have had some vehicles on the trailer where crossed was the only option due to mounting points on the vehicle).

Well we have beat the strap vs chain thing to death, so how about now we talk about attachment points on your trailer.

Do you have D-rings? Do you use the rails?

Did you ever get your attachment points figured out?

Also how well does a cargo shelf ride without a hitch pin?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Did you ever get your attachment points figured out?

Also how well does a cargo shelf ride without a hitch pin?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
I believe there is a story we need to hear

I believe there is a story we need to hear

At the get together the other weekend Clay showed up with a hitch basket that has a generator, cooler and bicycle on in and no hitch pin! luckily it made it.

Strangely my Kaufman had no tow down points on it other than stake pockets when I bought it. I added weld-on D-Rings; they were first welded to pieces of 1/4" plate then welded to the outer rails of the trailer at the four corners, clocked at angles so that the D-ring is pointed in the direction of the pull. No issues running snap hook car tie down ratchet straps.

I put a couple of d-rings on the flat of my trailer, a couple of feet in front of where the front axle of the CJ would sit. Made up a couple of 3' chains that would click on to these d-rings and axle straps, then back the jeep up to tighten. Jeep always in the right place, and no excess chain/strap to mess with. In back, I used axle straps and chain binders to the rear corners of the trailer (factory d-rings there).

The d-rings I added were right over a cross-member, and a single bolt went thru the top flange of it. Also welded around the perimeter of the d-ring mount, but wanted more than just welded to the skin of the deck.

Same d-rings work for my tractor too...cept I use fixed chains in back, and ratchet binders with chain in the front.

CGM147- That's a MEAN looking Yota, nice!!! That a Kaufman trailer? Looks exactly like my Kaufman!

I do the same as CGM147 (D-rings and straps) but, usually straight rather than crossed (though I have had some vehicles on the trailer where crossed was the only option due to mounting points on the vehicle).
Is it sad I just saw this post? Lol yes its a Kaufman trailer and I still have it minus the fenders. Its been a good one for sure.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Is it sad I just saw this post? Lol yes its a Kaufman trailer and I still have it minus the fenders. Its been a good one for sure.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
BUT not the yota :(:(:(

Oh the times I’ve put one strap across the floor of a yottabyte or jeep and rolled on

This discussion reminds me that I really need to weld permanent tie-down points to the rear frame rails on the Nissan. I have tie downs on the front, not on the rear, so I always have to loop axle straps over the frame rails to connect to the snap hooks. Add it to the list.

Up front: I use ratchet straps with chain/hook on the trailer end and quick snap hooks on the vehicle end. I run the axle straop through the axle C and attach the hook. On the frame end I run the chain down through the rub rail and hook it to the top of the rail (it can't fall off this way)
Out back: Same straps but the axle strap goes around the axle tube as wide as possible. I welded D rings to the rear most edge of the trailer frame. The chain/hook goes through the ring and hooked into itself.
Both front and back are XX style of strappig down.

This discussion reminds me that I really need to weld permanent tie-down points to the rear frame rails on the Nissan. I have tie downs on the front, not on the rear, so I always have to loop axle straps over the frame rails to connect to the snap hooks. Add it to the list.
Put them onnthe axle instead.
You want to strap the base not the suspended member .

Back