Street Air Pressure

rbo1577186

Just taking a survey..........because I'm trying to maximize the life of my 33x12.5 BFG MT'S. I marked a stripe across the tread of them with a grease pencil and took a quick drive. My wear seemed really good, all marks are gone. I don't know if I drove too far or my contact is good all the way across. I'm going to up it unitl I see a bad pattern. I'm running 25 psi in the front, 27 in the rear on 10" wide rims. TJ

What do you guys run on the street??

make sure when you make that run that you don't turn the steering wheel...that defeats the whole purpose of the "chalk test"...

I run about 15PSI in mine...:D

you can also calculate the "optimal" pressure to run using the information on the tire, plus the weight of your vehicle...it will vary slightly due to rim width, but you're probably real close at those pressures...

Greg

I am running 27PSI all the way around on my 33x12.5x15 BFG MTs. I did the chalk test to arrive at the pressure also had mine siped. After 30,000 miles they look like this:

IMG_1026.JPG

81 in the front, 45 in the rear on my 32's.

Another quick test you can do is wet the tires, then drive 15-20 feet or so. Look at your tracks. Do you see the full tread pattern? 25/27 sounds about right for your setup. You may be able to go a bit higher, but if you get over 30psi, you'll probably start riding on the center.

Another quick test you can do is wet the tires, then drive 15-20 feet or so. Look at your tracks. Do you see the full tread pattern? 25/27 sounds about right for your setup. You may be able to go a bit higher, but if you get over 30psi, you'll probably start riding on the center.

Thanks everyone, If that guy isn't BSing I hope I get 30k out of my BFG's. I'll be thrilled. My plan for the spring in to get a Set of 35's ( Boggers??? Something aggressive) mounted on wheels just to drive to the mudhole, then keep my BFG's on most of the time. You guys are great.

rbo1577186 said:
Thanks everyone, If that guy isn't BSing I hope I get 30k out of my BFG's. I'll be thrilled. My plan for the spring in to get a Set of 35's ( Boggers??? Something aggressive) mounted on wheels just to drive to the mudhole, then keep my BFG's on most of the time. You guys are great.

BSing? :rolleyes:

Pulling my chain. I didn't think you could get that kind of mileage out of a mud tire. But considering..........
1- they are radials
2- The tread is so deep
3- You get air pressure set up correctly/keep them rotated
4- Drive lightly (don't drive it like a sports car)

You're probably right. Please don't take that previous post offensively.... Just never thought of a mud tire getting that kind of mileage. I hope my tires look that good at 30k.

I've heard of guys getting 30k out of a set of BFG MTs. Not too uncommon. It's a good tire.

I run between 8 and 10 psi on the street on my 37" Creepy Crawlers.:flipoff2: Run 3 to 5 psi on the trails/rocks!

RG

I just found it hard to beleive those are 30k tires. I thought that would be the most to expect out of the tires period. But I guess if you ..

Keep proper air pressure,
rotate em,
don't drive like its a sports car,
factor in they are radials with deep tread..

maybe it's possible. Not calling you a liar, just didn't expect 30k mud tires to look that good. I have a similar set up as your TJ, I'm going to try 27 all the way around. Thanks for your replies forum. If you see a black TJ with a bunch of lights in W-S and hear a dixie horn it's me.

rbo1577186 said:
I just found it hard to beleive those are 30k tires. I thought that would be the most to expect out of the tires period. But I guess if you ..

Keep proper air pressure,
rotate em,
don't drive like its a sports car,
factor in they are radials with deep tread..

maybe it's possible. Not calling you a liar, just didn't expect 30k mud tires to look that good. I have a similar set up as your TJ, I'm going to try 27 all the way around. Thanks for your replies forum. If you see a black TJ with a bunch of lights in W-S and hear a dixie horn it's me.

I have taken good care of those tires and rotate them at every oil change. They are starting to wear a little faster now that there are so many miles on them but I am still very happy with how they have done. I will keep any eye out for ya.

If you run the right pressure, you'll get a LOT more than 30k out of those.

Back