Stuck ball joints

Rob

Administrator
Administrator
Any tricks for removing stuck ball joints on a TJ? I got the upper out with a little effort, but the lower does not want to budge.

A really big hammer or a press. Mine has a snap ring on the bottom of it. Did you already take it off?

HF super special ball joint press and a BHF to help it along... I ended up needing heat on the last axle i did ball joints on...

was that causing your elusive death wobble?

yager said:
HF super special ball joint press and a BHF to help it along... I ended up needing heat on the last axle i did ball joints on...

was that causing your elusive death wobble?
Maybe? Pass. side didn't budge but a tiny bit, driver's upper side moved up at least 1/8". I have that harbor freight tool, it worked for the upper.

Rob, I still have the new high steer knuckles and most of the other stuff for the switch. I think we may need to get togather soon. Work has destroyed my free time this year but I am getting closer to being caught up. Only two Jobs left after this current one to fulfil promises from 2 years ago.
JB

amcjeepman said:
Rob, I still have the new high steer knuckles and most of the other stuff for the switch. I think we may need to get togather soon. Work has destroyed my free time this year but I am getting closer to being caught up. Only two Jobs left after this current one to fulfil promises from 2 years ago.
JB
I'll still need to replace my ball joints for that. I've heard that the high steer set up really cuts your turning radius down. Is this true?

It's off, pressure from the ball joint tool, and a lot of Freaking heat, popped right out. One side done.

remember a quick tip to make them go in easier is to put the ball joint in your freezer for a little while and once it gets cold take it out of freezer and slide it right into place... works like a champ :)

Back