Suburban Lift/Tires

cyoung

Just bought a 1990 Suburban and am considering different lift/tire combos. I've been looking but can't find many decent pictures of the straight axle subs. I'm going to stay with a small lift, no more than 4" at most, likely less, with probably 33's. Has anybody got any good pictures of subs?
Thanks!

Good question. Lifting it mostly just to accomodate larger tires. To be honest, mostly just for looks. Maybe a few trips to ride on the beach or some dirt roads in the mountains, family camping, etc. No real wheeling. Right now, with 31's, it kind of looks like it's dragging the ground. Not interested in regearing and want to maintian driveability so probably won't go larger than 33's.

By the way, I may have a set of factory alloys and a nice set of 31x10.5x15 Firestone destination AT's for sale/trade if anybody is interested.

Thanks!

33's will fit on it stock, so will 35's if you trim a little.

my "sub"

ai35.photobucket.com_albums_d163_bowtieman55_My_20Rigs_92Suburban.jpg
:flipoff2:

If you want to see some solid axle sub pics check out coloradok5.com and carolinak5.com here is a shot of mine http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u159/nclugnut/ 3/4 ton no lift and 305 Nittos looks like I may have to trim a little. For a 1/2 ton you will want a couple inches of lift for 33s

Will AAL's all around clear 35's w/no trimming? I'd love to see some pics of late 80's -1991.
No they will clear 33's A little triming is about the last 2 in of the back edge of the front fenders. 2in will clear 33's with a little triming 4in will clear 35's with a little triming. Also more backspacing=less triming it will tuck the tire under the truck more.

my 89 had 1ton springs and fender trimming and it cleared 35 bfg's,wish i had it back

My Blazer (roughly same susp.) was running 33's stock with very little rubbing even when flexing. For what you seem to be wanting to do with it 33's will fit stock. At worst case a set of AAL's or even a new set of stock springs if yours sag alot.

I've got 33x12.50's on stock aluminum rims on my 1990 1/2-ton Burb, and it does not rub the fenders at all. Same when I used to have them on my K5. You might be able to get it to rub the inner sidewall of the rear tires on the flat inner surface of the rear wheelwells if you fully flex it out, but this is a smooth surface, so no problem, and would only happen in the most extreme flexing.

The only rub I had was on the pitman arm at full lock to the right.

Wheel width/offset makes a difference - if your wheels are wider than stock or offset so they stick out more, then they'll rub at the rear lower corner of the front fenders as described above.

WOW all my old junk must have sagged alot. My old 78 Sub would rub 32x11.50's on stock wheels if I got it crossed up and my Jimmy will rub 305/70's even runing AAL and wheels with 4in backspacing.

One thing I have learned about these trucks is you can two identacle trucks rolling off the line almost the same time and each may take a tire size differently. Not sure why that is but I have heard many different sizes under stock trucks before with some rubbing and some not. Best bet is borrow a friends set and throw them on and run through the suspension cycle to see for certain. I have 37's you can bolt on in my driveway but that might be too much LOL.

Oh yeah - I think the 37's might be pushing it a little! I'd love to have some 33's to try but don't have that option.
The wheels currently on my truck are I think stock 1990 alloys. They are kind of plain, brushed aluminum (?) with 8 holes. The door jamb says it should have 15x7 rims. Richard - Did you have 33x12.5's on 7" rims? Got any pictures you could email to me?

Thanks,

Charles

Richard - Did you have 33x12.5's on 7" rims? Got any pictures you could email to me?
Thanks,
Charles

Yes, my 33x12.50s are on the same 15x7 alloys you're talking about. I'll look and see if I can find some pics of it. (Right now I have my 235/75/15's on it, which is the only way it will tow a trailer with the 6.2L diesel and 3.42 gears) I'm sure I have pics somewhere of the Burb and the K5 with the alloys and 33s.

Back