Superduty carrier breaks, simplify?

marty79

Been reading and I'm all confused...will I need different carrier in my 02 SD60 and 10.5 rear to go from 3.73 to 4.56+. Thank you

I got the sterling rear figured out but there is way too much confusion on the ford 60s..and I'm slow, doesn't help lol

No. Sterlings don't have a break
99.9999% of HP60 don't either. Essentially all HP60 use the same carrier.
LP60 have the break at 4.10 down/4.56 up.
Thank you, the whole thick cut, thin cut and how they interchange got me all confused.
Are all HP60s reverse rotation too?

None of them are. However, they are reverse cut. They drive on the drive side of the hear as opposed to the coast side a LP front would
Lol that's what I meant. Thank you. Now I think I'm set on what I need to look for

I feel dumb contradicting Jody on this subject, but it gives me a chance to shout out ECGS, so...

When I ordered gears and lockers for the Hambulance, I picked a 4.56 Eaton and 4.56 gears. Unknowingly I had selected 4.56 thick gears. When I finally opened the boxes I found a 4.10 and numerically down locker. They had corrected my mistake for me.

From my research after determining whether I wanted the lower carrier, I found that it seemed like 99.999 of gears 4.56 and up for the HP in the aftermarket are "thick" though

Last edited:
Yes. For all intents and purposes, essentially all HP60 gears require a 4.10 and down series carrier.
You can go as low as 5.38 with that combo BTW. That's it.

Yes. For all intents and purposes, essentially all HP60 gears require a 4.10 and down series carrier.
You can go as low as 5.38 with that combo BTW. That's it.
For the purposes of the thread, and because Mohn had posted another thread in the WTB section looking for used gears: if you were to find a set of 4.88 OEM gears from a 450/550 would those install onto a carrier from a 3.73 axle?

For the purposes of the thread, and because Mohn had posted another thread in the WTB section looking for used gears: if you were to find a set of 4.88 OEM gears from a 450/550 would those install onto a carrier from a 3.73 axle?
Mohn :lol:

550s have totally different rear axle. Mine has a dana s135

Back