SUV with farm tag

83oldyoda4x4

Anybody running a farm tag on a SUV?
I was wondering if you only need safety inspection or emission as well. All my trucks have been safety only bc of the weight, but i was wondering about a suv
I have an old Cherokee that has been retired from DD to around town farm duty. I was wondering if i could get away with only a safety inspection.

Agricultural Exemptions State Regulations The following are exempt from State safety inspections: (N.C.G.S. 20-183.2(a)) 1) Commercial vehicles subject to inspection through Fed Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. 2) Trailers with gross weight less than 4,000 lbs.

The following are exempt from State emissions inspections: (N.C.G.S. 20-183.2(b)) 1) A motor vehicle registered with a farm tag. 2) A motor vehicle that is a 1996 model or older, is one of the three most recent model years, or has less than 70,000 miles.

You can pretty much farm tag anything as long as you attest that you have 10+ acres and use it for farm use. We don't have emissions here so can't say as far as that goes. What county are you in? In the few counties left that test 20 yrs and older are exempt, wasn't the last cherocar built in 01?

Randolph county they don't do the sniff test yet, but still hook the ob2 scanner to anything 96 or newer. We have 30 acres farm land that is farm tax differed as well for property tax.
Just wondering if i would need to keep paying for the 30 dollar inspection and only need the 12 dollar safety. Trucks all have farm tags and are all exempt from emissions due to the gvrw anyways.

Last edited:
Back