T176 stuck in 2nd gear

89wrangler

Not a new member
Was heading to town last weekend in my CJ7, went to shift to 2nd gear and the shifter went wobbly for the lack of a better term. Stuck in second, shifter moves side to side, but won’t go into any other gear. Was a slow ride back home. Looking to see if anyone has had this happen and what was the fix before I pop the top off. Thanks in advance!

Haven’t had this happen to me, but I’ve always heard this to be a synchronizer issue. Might have to pull the top and shift the shift blocks by hand. Also check that the shift forks are secure enough n the shift rails… and not broken.

Shouldn’t be too difficult to pull the top off for an inspection.

Also check fluid level.

Following up, I pulled the shifter out and found the issue. There are some brass parts inside that the shifter uses to move the shift forks and they appear to be really worn out. This allowed the end of the shifter to "pop out" of where it should have been. I was able to put the shifter back in place and while it will shift ok, I can see this happening again. Going to look and see if I can find the parts so I can replace them down the road. Not sure why I did not take any pictures. DOH.

Back