Tack welding locknuts

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
I need to tack on some nuts to hold retaining bolts for a battery holder. What's going on the nut is actually a stud so I'd like to use lock nuts to minimize it spinning later.

Can you get away w nylon locknuts if it's a minimal tack? It's not really holding much stress, just needs a drop on either side to keep it attached to the body.
I know nylon is kind of funny when it comes to Glass transition temperatures but doesn't really get soft until well over 100 c.

Also, if it’s a “regularly” removed item the nylon is good for about 1.5 uses and then it doesn’t hold properly anymore regardless of heat or other outside influencers.

Tack em real quick and light. It’ll be fine. Give it time to cool between tacks.

Or just tack the stud to the tray.

Phewy on science - tacking a locknut on is way more thought and planning than my rig will ever see. I'd say go for it - it's genius. Plus by time the heat has to transfer through the nut to the nylon its base temp will have cooled enough... not scientifically validated...

The nylon will melt, unless you have your buddy there with a spray bottle ready to fast cool it.

2 jam nutz is the better option. Even better to put a nordlock between them.

All locking type nuts have a 2 to 3 use life span.

Steel melts at around 2500F, nylon melts at around 500F.

What do you think?
I think you are way overestimating the quality of welding I intend here.
When it comes to welding, the one thing I'm really good at is cold, unpenetrated joints.

I ended up deciding against this, not because it wouldn't work, but because i realized I had a two-nut-seperated-by-a-space problem that would never tighten against one another and I actually needed to still be able to turn that nut to tighten it together.

So I just double nutted it elsewhere (giggity)

But now you fawkers have me wondering if I coulda made it happen with a really quick, pourly penetrated tap.
Also - JB Weld would have been the answer.

Back